Thread: New partition File System and Mount Point?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

New partition File System and Mount Point?

In upgrading from 7.10 to 8.04 the Ubuntu partition of my dual boot (XP/Ubuntu) Thinkpad got screwed up. (No sound was one problem.) So I decided to wipe clean, reformat, and, at the same time expand, my Ubuntu partition. I am using Gparted from the Live CD. It seemed rather intuitive until I got to the screen that is entitled "Edit Partition" where I encountered two choices that were new to me: File System and Mount Point. What File System should I choose for this Ubuntu partition and what Mount Point? None of the choices are meaningful to me. Thanks.
    Dell Mini 10V 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Ubuntu 12.10. MacBook Pro 8.0MB RAM, 500GB HD, MacOS 10.8.2, Dell Inspiron 11z Windows 7 HP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: New partition File System and Mount Point?

To install a Linux system you need a minimum of two partitions, one formatted as ext3 or ext2 and mounted as / or root, and another partition as swap, no mounting point needed. You can also set more partitions with different filesystems like reiserfs, and different mounting points, but that will do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thanks didac. That was the information needed to finish the formatting and installation. But, alas, while it boots to 8.04, I can't do anything. There is no sound, as before, but now no wireless networks are recognized. Back to 7.10? Or forget it?
    Dell Mini 10V 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, Ubuntu 12.10. MacBook Pro 8.0MB RAM, 500GB HD, MacOS 10.8.2, Dell Inspiron 11z Windows 7 HP

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by didac View Post
    To install a Linux system you need a minimum of two partitions, one formatted as ext3 or ext2 and mounted as / or root, and another partition as swap, no mounting point needed. You can also set more partitions with different filesystems like reiserfs, and different mounting points, but that will do.
    I would also make sure that I had a separate /home partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re-post the problem and go through the forums postings on upgrades/installations