Re: How to set up dual screens Extended desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Inxsible View Post
    Open up a terminal and type in
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Post the result back here.
    This is what I get:

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    I guess this means that I should use Xinerama. I'll try it, anyway, and report back here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've made a copy of xorg.conf and made the changes (but only on the copy so far).

Now, I'm unsure about using Xinerama, because...

1. Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xinerama
      Wikipedia[/url]"]As of 2008, Xinerama is planned to be deprecated in the future by X.org in favor of XRandR.
    2. Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://sourceforge.net/projects/xinerama
      Sourceforge[/url]"]As of 2007-09-20 10:44, this project is no longer under active development.

Any comments?

(Anyway, my installation manager isn't working, so I can't progress until that's solved. )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: How to set up dual screens Extended desktop

Yay! I got it working!

For anyone else who's struggling, this is how I did it...

• I made a backup of xorg.conf as explained in the How To post.
    • I discovered a hidden menu item: Applications -> Other -> Screens and Graphics. (To reveal this menu, use System -> Preferences -> Main Menu.) I experimented with this Screens and Graphics program (making use of the backup copy of xorg.conf) until I'd manged to at least get both screens responding, albeit with incorrect resolutions.
    • I made another backup of xorg.conf at this point, so I could revert to it or refer to it.
    • Referring to the tips in the aforementioned How To post, and to the Xinerama "How To", I experimented hugely until I got it right. Watch out: Even the smallest typo causes problems! Do baby steps: Make a small change, test, and repeat.

There was lots that I wouldn't have known about had I not found the Screens and Graphics program.

Once you have it working, back up your new xorg.conf. You should then keep two copies just in case: The original xorg.conf (before you started to change things), and the new working xorg.conf. Put them on your backups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, Xinerama is deprecated. And someone pointed me to a much better method (far quicker and easier to set up):

RandR HowTo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12