Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Yahoo! Messenger for Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

HOWTO: Install Yahoo! Messenger for Linux

Edit: bodhi.zazen ~ Please take note that this how to was written in 2005 and *may* be outdated. In addition Ubuntu now includes applications by default ( Ubuntu and Xubuntu = Pidgin ; Kubuntu = Kopete) that will access the Yahoo network (so not need to install the Yahoo client).

1. Install libssl0.9.6 through Synaptic or
    sudo apt-get install libssl0.9.6
    2. Download this file from messenger.yahoo.com.

3. In a terminal, write:
    sudo dpkg -i /path/ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb
    replacing path with the path to where you downloaded the file.

4. Run /usr/bin/ymessenger and follow the few simple instructions for setting up Yahoo! Messenger. An icon will be placed on your desktop.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; November 17th, 2008 at 07:50 AM.
    Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows and Apache inside. (Chinese proverb c. 910 B.C.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: HOWTO: Install Yahoo! Messenger for Linux

Better use Gaim. Yahoo! Messenger for Linux is ridiculously old and rudimentary.
    Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows and Apache inside. (Chinese proverb c. 910 B.C.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I have a problem with the configuration of both programs. In the configuration of Gaim there is no field to enter the login name and in the configuration of Yahoo messenger there is no field to enter the screen name.
    Is there another messenger program in which I can configure both (different) names?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by urbanus6
    I have a problem with the configuration of both programs. In the configuration of Gaim there is no field to enter the login name and in the configuration of Yahoo messenger there is no field to enter the screen name.
    Is there another messenger program in which I can configure both (different) names?
    Gaim does have a field to enter the login name... The Screen Name field is for your login name and the 'Alias' field is for what you are calling the Screen name, if I understand you correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Try kopete, it's a KDE messenger but I have it installed in Ubuntu and it works quite well, or forget Yahoo all together and use Skype if your trying to get voice messenger working. Good Luck.
    Carl

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by linbetwin
    Better use Gaim. Yahoo! Messenger for Linux is ridiculously old and rudimentary.
    I second that. I have almost all my friends on yahoo and would love to get the latest version up and running...but what they have for linux right now is pretty sad. i suggest using gaim or kopete instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The dependencies are pretty old too... I used Debian about a year ago, and had these problems as well:

(today on Ubuntu Dapper)
    me@mylaptop:~/downloads$ sudo dpkg -i ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package ymessenger.
    (Reading database ... 151246 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking ymessenger (from ymessenger_1.0.4_1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ymessenger:
    ymessenger depends on libssl0.9.6; however:
    Package libssl0.9.6 is not installed.
    ymessenger depends on xlibs (>> 3.3.6); however:
    Package xlibs is not installed.
    dpkg: error processing ymessenger (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    ymessenger

I'm not finding libssl0.9.6 in the Ubuntu repositories anymore, but you can find it in Debian Sarge. (The Debian repositories are under extreme strain right now due to major changes in X, so please be patient).

Apparently, xlibs is being transitioned into xlibs-dev on Ubuntu. This change seems to be coming from Debian. Here is an excerpt from the package page:

"This package smooths upgrades from Debian 3.0 by depending on libice-dev, libsm-dev, libx11-dev, libxext-dev, libxi-dev, libxmu-dev, libxmuu-dev, libxpm-dev, libxrandr-dev, libxt-dev, libxtrap-dev, libxtst-dev, libxv-dev, x-dev, and xlibs-static-dev. This transitional package is only depended upon by packages that haven't yet corrected their dependencies to reflect the new library arrangement."

With the little research that I did, it appears that ymessenger on Ubuntu is really not worth the effort, and GAIM, Kopete, and friends are really the correct way to go. Besides, shouldn't we be supporting Free Software anyways...?

speeves

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Our gaming clan uses yahoo for voice chat in our biweekly meetings, so I put in vmware and xp and use yahoo messenger in it to talk. I really wish there was a way to use voice chat in yahoo in ubuntu without having to do all that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Wit hkopete u can neither send a file nor join a conference. But u can do both with Gaim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Red face Re: HOWTO: Install Yahoo! Messenger for Linux

Hy,
    Talk about newby, I just installed Ubuntu Linux on the weekend and I have a lot of things I want to implant, like a messenger. Where is the best way to start. I was hoping to install Yahoo but if there is something better like GAIM, I understand, then shoot it to me

Claude

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast