Thread: Security?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Security?

I dual boot windows and ubuntu and my dad uses windows xp and my other computer runs xubuntu. My Internet service provider turn your internet off because of a possible virus threat. I checked all pcs none had viruses could using Limewire be the problem?I used limewire with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Security?

Perhaps one of your machines is sending out spam emails. That's quite common these days.

What do you use for a gateway to the internet ?

Check the tcp/udp connections on each machine and see if there is anything listening or establishing connections out..
    You can use either netstat (netstat -natp) or lsof (lsof -n -i) to get this done....

m

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Security?

Quote Originally Posted by retro89 View Post
    I dual boot windows and ubuntu and my dad uses windows xp and my other computer runs xubuntu. My Internet service provider turn your internet off because of a possible virus threat. I checked all pcs none had viruses could using Limewire be the problem?I used limewire with Ubuntu.
    It is quite possible that they shut you off due to filesharing activities as well. Have you called them since checking your PCs to have them turn you back on? Can they give you any more information such as what they detected as a virus?

-Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597