Thread: Just a quick question

Beans

Just a quick question

Let me start off by saying that I'm pretty new to ubuntu. I was wondering if I'm able to access programs and such like i was able to in windows with my computer. Is there a simple instruction or description anywhere that will explain how to easily navigate the File Browser. There are a lot of folders with names (mnt, opt, srv; i have no idea what these folders contain or pertain to) and symbols i don't recognize and I wanted to figure out a way to successfully navigate through it. For example, where do i find my installed programs through the file browser? Just wondering...thanks!

Beans

Re: Just a quick question

The documentation will explain most of your questions in a very understandable way..
    https://help.ubuntu.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

What do you want to find as far as the installed programs? Do you want to launch them, or what is your problem.

A good resource is the "Learn the Terminal" link in my signature. It helps you get familiar with it, but also explains some of what those folders (directories in linux) mean.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Check the links in my sig
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans

There are a couple of videos on youtube called something like "linux de-mystified" that explain the file hierarchy in detail. I can tell you that the linux is different that windows. If you go to places > my computer. You'll see ur CD drive, your floppy drive, something called "disk" or "media" and you'll see a drive called "filesystem." The disk/media drive is your windows partition and the filesystem drive is your linux partition. Linux can see both drive but in windows you can only see windows (ntfs) formatted partitions. In linux there are many folders. Most of them you cannot (and don't want to) change unless you're root. There is a folder called home and inside that is a folder called "your name." This folder is like the my documents folder from windows. Inside home you can change whatever you like without root privlages.

You can look at your entire windows partition but you cannot run windows programs in ubuntu (short of wine or virtualization).

I am not aware of any way to find the applications you have installed in the file browser but that doesn't mean there isn't a way.

If you have any more questions post here again! I'm happy to help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There is no one folder. They are all ever the place.
    Typically they are in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin and there are probably more too.
    iAlta

Beans

The links that were posted were great, thanks guys. They answered my question. Hopefully soon I'll be fully accustomed to the basic features of ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsdieorksw View Post
    The links that were posted were great, thanks guys. They answered my question. Hopefully soon I'll be fully accustomed to the basic features of ubuntu.
    Just be careful not to become addicted