Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "new posts" issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

"new posts" issue

I hope this is the right forum. This appeared to be the closest thing to a 'general' forum assistance/problem section.

Here is issue that I've noticed many times. I'll click "new posts" and pick a thread and reply to it. I click "new posts" again.

I "should" see the post I just replied to as its now bumped and tops on the list; however, I never see it. If its a thread *I* just replied to, it's not there.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: "new posts" issue

Moved to Forum Feedback & Help forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by frodon View Post
    Moved to Forum Feedback & Help forum.
    I thought that was where I posted it. Sorry.

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    I hope this is the right forum. This appeared to be the closest thing to a 'general' forum assistance/problem section.

Here is issue that I've noticed many times. I'll click "new posts" and pick a thread and reply to it. I click "new posts" again.

I "should" see the post I just replied to as its now bumped and tops on the list; however, I never see it. If its a thread *I* just replied to, it's not there.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?
    I have, but I'm afraid I have no explaination for it. Does it show up if you search for your posts ??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by pricetech View Post
    I have, but I'm afraid I have no explaination for it. Does it show up if you search for your posts ??
    Yes. That's the only way to find them again.

I want to keep tabs on a thread I tried to help with to see if the issue resolved or not. Yet, I don't want to subscribe to every post, hence my dilemma.

Beans

Are you just using the back button to get to the "new posts" list?
    That gets you back to the cached page generated when you first hit new posts, you have to hit new posts again to regenerate the list..

Sorry if that's condescending at all

Personally I just search on my posts to keep tabs on threads I've made a useless observation in, but then I have a freakishly good ability to remember how many posts were in each one last time I looked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    Are you just using the back button to get to the "new posts" list?
    That gets you back to the cached page generated when you first hit new posts, you have to hit new posts again to regenerate the list..

Sorry if that's condescending at all

Personally I just search on my posts to keep tabs on threads I've made a useless observation in, but then I have a freakishly good ability to remember how many posts were in each one last time I looked.
    No...I'm hitting "new posts" again, not going back to the cached page. Thanks anyway......I definitely DON'T have that freakish ability to remember the number of replies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A few minutes ago, I posted to the Installation & Upgrades forum. I immediately checked "new posts" and my post wasn't there. I checked "new posts" again about 5 minutes later, and my post was there this time. So, I guess there is a lag of a few minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The forums are caching data to make sure the servers aren't overloaded. A delay of a few minutes is natural. I'm sure ubuntu-geek knows more about exactly how long data is cached, but it definitely isn't too long.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jacobmp92 View Post
    The forums are caching data to make sure the servers aren't overloaded. A delay of a few minutes is natural. I'm sure ubuntu-geek knows more about exactly how long data is cached, but it definitely isn't too long.
    This explanation has a "ring of truth" & makes sense.

I've noticed a lag too, and occasionally a message to the effect that some of the "new posts" haven't been updated since my last visit.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast