Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: apt-fast : A Bash Script to Speed Things Along

Thumbs down apt-fast : A Bash Script to Speed Things Along

12/22/2011: I've moved development of apt-fast to github. Note that the current version I have not tested yet, so I need testers...and users...and people to improve apt-fast and put in pull requests

https://github.com/ilikenwf/apt-fast

I wrote this script that combines the power of the axel download manager with the stability of apt-get. All you have to do is make sure axel is installed from the repos, or from here, and then put this script somewhere, name it apt-fast, and chmod +x on it. Then, call it like you would apt-get or aptitude, just by sudo ./apt-fast dist-upgrade, or whatever it is you want to install or do.

If you have any improvements to this puppy, please share them so I can share them from my website. Right now, I don't have many variables set, so you can only install single packages one or two at a time. I believe an array would be a good fix for that, but I don't have time right now. A further improvement would be the addition of auto complete, like apt-get has, so that you don't have to type entire package names. Whatever the case, enjoy, and don't use this too often, as it really rapes the package servers.
    Last edited by ilikenwf; December 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 PM.

Beans

Re: apt-fast : A Bash Script to Speed Things Along

Nice script,

I have added a check to restrict undesired calling of axel when a non existing package is entered.

i.e.

apt-fast install foobar

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    #apt-fast by Matt Parnell http://www.mattparnell.com , this thing is FOSS
    #please feel free to suggest improvments to admin@mattparnell.com
    # Use this just like apt-get for faster package downloading. Make sure to have axel installed

#If the first user entered variable string contains apt-get, and the second string entered is either install or dist-upgrade
    if echo "$1" | grep -q "[upgrade]" || echo "$2" | grep -q "[install]" || echo "$2" | grep -q "[dist-upgrade]"; then
      echo "Working...";

#Go into the directory apt-get normally puts downloaded packages
      cd /var/cache/apt/archives/;

#Have apt-get print the information, including the URI's to the packages
      apt-get -y --print-uris $1 $2 $3 $4 > debs.list;

#Strip out the URI's, and download the packages with Axel for speediness
      # check to ensure we return http/ftp addresses

egrep -o -e "(ht|f)tp://[^\']+" debs.list

if [ $? = "0" ] ; then
                     egrep -o -e "(ht|f)tp://[^\']+" debs.list | xargs -l1 axel -a;

fi

#Perform the user's reqested action via apt-get
      apt-get -y $1 $2 $3 $4;

echo "Done! Make sure and check to see that the packages all were installed properly. If a package is erred, run sudo apt-get autoclean and try installing it again without the use of this script.";

elif echo "$1" | grep -q "[*]"; then
      apt-get $1;
    else
      echo "Sorry, but you appear to be entering invalid options. You must use apt-get and one of apt-get's options in order to use this script.";
    fi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

This could be easily implemented in Ubuntu.

Also one day, we can discover the wheel. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by TaTaE View Post
    This could be easily implemented in Ubuntu.

Also one day, we can discover the wheel. Maybe.
    I use Archlinux now, but I updated the script...

There are some modded versions that work with aria2c there too...contributed by users...PCLinuxOS people and Ubuntu users both have been making it even better...even with autocompletion.

http://www.mattparnell.com/projects/...-upgrades.html

I made some modification. Here the final code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # apt-fast by Matt Parnell http://www.mattparnell.com
    # Modified by Ali Ghaffaari
    # This thing is FOSS. Please feel free to suggest improvments to admin@mattparnell.com
    # Use this just like apt-get for faster package downloading. Make sure to have axel installed

# Check for root permission
    if [ "$USER" != "root" ]; then
    	echo You are not root. Permission denied!
    	exit 1
    fi

# Filter 'install', 'upgrade' and 'dist-upgrade' options
    if [ "$1" = "upgrade" ] || [ "$1" = "install" ] || [ "$1" = "dist-upgrade" ]; then
    	echo "\033[01m[apt-fast] Working ...\033[0m";

# Go into the directory apt-get normally puts downloaded packages (partial section)
    	cd /var/cache/apt/archives/partial;

# Have apt-get print the information, including the URI's to the packages
    	apt-get -y --print-uris $* > debs.list;

# Strip out the URI's, and download the packages with Axel for speediness
    	# Check to ensure we return http/ftp addresses

egrep -o -e "(ht|f)tp://[^\']+" debs.list > /dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? = "0" ] ; then
    		# Downloading the packages
    		head -n $(( `cat debs.list|wc -l` - `egrep -o -e "(ht|f)tp://[^\']+" debs.list|wc -l` )) debs.list
    		echo -n "Do you want to continue [Y/n]? "
    		read ANS;
    		if [ -z $ANS ] || [ "$ANS" = "Y" ] || [ "$ANS" = "y" ]; then
    			echo do nothing > /dev/null
    		else
    			echo "\033[01m[apt-fast] Abort\033[0m"
    			exit 0
    		fi

echo "\033[01m[apt-fast] Downloading packages ...\033[0m"
    		egrep -o -e "(ht|f)tp://[^\']+" debs.list | xargs -l1 axel -a;
    		echo

# Moving downloaded packages to parent directory
    		mv *.deb .. > /dev/null 2>&1
    	fi

# Perform the user's reqested action via apt-get
    	echo "\033[01m[apt-fast] Installing packages ...\033[0m"
    	apt-get -y $*;

# Check the apt-get exit code
    	if [ $? = "0" ]; then
    		echo "\033[01m[apt-fast] Done!\033[0m";
    	else
    		echo "\033[01m[apt-fast] Failed!\033[0m";
    		exit $?
    	fi

# Pass other options to original apt-get!
    else
    	apt-get $*;
    fi

Quote Originally Posted by amgmagician View Post
    I made some modification. Here the final code:

Without having to trace through, care to tell us what it is you did to make it better?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikenwf View Post
    Without having to trace through, care to tell us what it is you did to make it better?
    Yes, you're right! I was sleepy last night!
    First of all, specially thanks for your nice work.
    I used your apt-fast script and found that some modifications [maybe] make it better:
    1- 'root' checking was added at the first of the script.
    2- In the main IF-ELSE structure, 'upgrade', 'install' and 'dist-upgrade' options are filtered and the other options are passed to 'apt-get' itself. Obviously, wrong options are detected by 'apt-get' itself.
    Annotation: I think for example 'grep [install]' filters the text which have the letters 'i', 'n', 's' and etc separately. For example 'induct' is accepted with [install] filter which is not acceptable for our goal. I tested it and it works as I say. Am I mistaken?
    3- Some text formatting was added. I made the outputs of 'apt-fast' bold to be distinguishable from 'apt-get' and 'axel' outputs and I also added '[apt-fast]' label at the first of its output.
    4- In new script downloading process are done in '/var/cache/apt/archive/partial/' rather than '/var/cache/apt/archive'. When download finish successfully, downloaded packages are moved to '/var/cache/apt/archive'. It's exactly what 'apt-get' does.
    5- When we install a package with 'apt-get'. It prints some information about packages which are going to download and install and ask us "Do you want to continue [Y/n]?". I added this functionality to the script too. First, I print the information which had been inserted to debs.list file without showing urls with this command:
    Code:
    head -n $(( `cat debs.list|wc -l` - `egrep -o -e "(ht|f)tp://[^\']+" debs.list|wc -l` )) debs.list
    and then ask the user "Do you want to continue [Y/n]?". If the answer is yes, it starts to download the packages.

That's it.
    In addition, I forgot to remove the line 'Modified by ...'. Sorry, I added this comment to specify that it's different from previous 'apt-fast' which I had downloaded.

Sincerely,
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by amgmagician View Post
    Yes, you're right! I was sleepy last night!
    First of all, specially thanks for your nice work.
    I used your apt-fast script and found that some modifications [maybe] make it better:
    1- 'root' checking was added at the first of the script.
    2- In the main IF-ELSE structure, 'upgrade', 'install' and 'dist-upgrade' options are filtered and the other options are passed to 'apt-get' itself. Obviously, wrong options are detected by 'apt-get' itself.
    Annotation: I think for example 'grep [install]' filters the text which have the letters 'i', 'n', 's' and etc separately. For example 'induct' is accepted with [install] filter which is not acceptable for our goal. I tested it and it works as I say. Am I mistaken?
    3- Some text formatting was added. I made the outputs of 'apt-fast' bold to be distinguishable from 'apt-get' and 'axel' outputs and I also added '[apt-fast]' label at the first of its output.
    4- In new script downloading process are done in '/var/cache/apt/archive/partial/' rather than '/var/cache/apt/archive'. When download finish successfully, downloaded packages are moved to '/var/cache/apt/archive'. It's exactly what 'apt-get' does.
    5- When we install a package with 'apt-get'. It prints some information about packages which are going to download and install and ask us "Do you want to continue [Y/n]?". I added this functionality to the script too. First, I print the information which had been inserted to debs.list file without showing urls with this command:
    Code:
    and then ask the user "Do you want to continue [Y/n]?". If the answer is yes, it starts to download the packages.

That's it.
    In addition, I forgot to remove the line 'Modified by ...'. Sorry, I added this comment to specify that it's different from previous 'apt-fast' which I had downloaded.

Sincerely,
    Ali
    Nice! Are you the same guy that emailed me?

I really need to set this up on github or launchpad...

No, I'm not that guy!

12/22/2011: I've moved development of apt-fast to github. Note that the current version I have not tested yet, so I need testers...and users...and people to improve apt-fast and put in pull requests

https://github.com/ilikenwf/apt-fast

Just bumping to alert you all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast