Thread: apt-fast : A Bash Script to Speed Things Along

Threaded View

Thumbs down apt-fast : A Bash Script to Speed Things Along

12/22/2011: I've moved development of apt-fast to github. Note that the current version I have not tested yet, so I need testers...and users...and people to improve apt-fast and put in pull requests

I wrote this script that combines the power of the axel download manager with the stability of apt-get. All you have to do is make sure axel is installed from the repos, or from here, and then put this script somewhere, name it apt-fast, and chmod +x on it. Then, call it like you would apt-get or aptitude, just by sudo ./apt-fast dist-upgrade, or whatever it is you want to install or do.

If you have any improvements to this puppy, please share them so I can share them from my website. Right now, I don't have many variables set, so you can only install single packages one or two at a time. I believe an array would be a good fix for that, but I don't have time right now. A further improvement would be the addition of auto complete, like apt-get has, so that you don't have to type entire package names. Whatever the case, enjoy, and don't use this too often, as it really rapes the package servers.
    Last edited by ilikenwf; December 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 PM.