Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimizing system performance

Beans

Optimizing system performance

Hey folks. I've been using Linux for a little while, and I'm enjoying it enough to consider using it as my primary OS. As such I'd like to get things running as well as possible and hammer out some of my (admittedly few) problems.

Something I can't help but notice is that scrolling through pretty much anything, especially in Firefox, can get a bit choppy. Framerate drops significantly on webpages with large animated images, and flash is extremely choppy, uselessly so in the case of something fullscreened. Enabling the NVidia restricted drivers appeared to help, but certainly not to the extent expected.

Presumably unrelated, but also irksome, is that when playing a ROM in ZSNES, as smoothly as the game may run, the input from my gamepad seems to be on just enough of a delay to make any game requiring timely response all but unplayable.

New to this as I am, I can only assume there are changes, no doubt obvious ones that I never thought of, that I can make to improve system performance ever so slightly.

System specs:
    Ubuntu 8.04
    Athlon 64 3500+
    1 GB RAM
    Geforce 8600 GT
    / and /home on separate ext3 partitions on a dual-platter 640 GB SATA
    PS2 controller connected via USB Trio Linker Plus

I'll be more than willing to provide any more information as requested, and will readily report on any suggested actions.

Beans

Re: Optimizing system performance

Oh, and I'm running the default Gnome-based desktop environment, if that might have anything to do with it, but when I tried them, fluxbox and xfce either didn't appear to do much better or did a little worse.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans

That helps a bit. Flash is smoother, ZSNES is more responsive, but there's still room for improvement. If the system monitor is to be believed, CPU load seems to sit at about 25%-40% with nothing in particular going and about 60% with Firefox idling. While I'm not quite sure I trust that reading, something sure seems to be up.

Beans

Oh god any other suggestions? I'm not running any extraneous or particularly busy processes. Should I try to install newer video drivers, or a lighter weight desktop environment?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I would like some more suggestions as well, as I also suffer from choppiness

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

a nibler desktop would help. try xfce4.
    !#> man women
    No manual entry for women

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

With your specs you should be flying.

Use

in the terminal or install htop and use that to see whats hogging the cpu.

It could be trackerd, you can turn it off in Prefs> Search and indexing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The reason your system monitor is telling you that you are using about 25-40% processing power is because of the monitor itself. Always been a bit of an annoyance if you ask me. The system monitor requires processing power to render the "graphics" you see scrolling to the left, giving you a chart of what your resources look like.
    Programming is an art. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkingships7 View Post
    The reason your system monitor is telling you that you are using about 25-40% processing power is because of the monitor itself. Always been a bit of an annoyance if you ask me. The system monitor requires processing power to render the "graphics" you see scrolling to the left, giving you a chart of what your resources look like.
    Agreed, top is better for this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast