Thread: Economic Research on Linux vs Windows in Lebanon‏

Beans

Post Economic Research on Linux vs Windows in Lebanon‏

Hello,

We are economics students in Université Saint-Joseph doing research on the competition between Linux and Windows. On research focuses on the sever market (we do address the home PC market too but we stress on the sever market) and we try to address in the latter part of our research the Lebanese markets specifically.
    So, we are in the process of scouting out all Lebanese Linux groups and communities in order to gather information.
    We would like to ask the members of your team the following questions:

As the Lebanon Ubuntu Team Users Group:

- How many members do you have? (active, inactive etc…)
    - How did your group start?
    - What are the groups achievements since its creation?
    - What are your short term, medium term and long term goals?
    - What have you done to help Ubuntu gain ground on Windows in Lebanon (especially in the server market)?
    - Have you helped companies and/or organisations to integrate Ubuntu in their operations?
    - In your opinion, can the open source software movement defeat (or severely cripple) Microsoft in the marketplace?
    - Why should OSS ever displace traditional software?
    - Do you have any other information you can help us with regarding the use of Linux for servers in Lebanon?

* Anyone who has a testimonial or any sort of information that will do us good, please don't hesitate to post.
    * This research is for our thesis (memoire de license), so credit will be given to all valuable contributions.

Jad Yammine
    &
    Fadi Assouad

Beans

Re: Economic Research on Linux vs Windows in Lebanon‏

Dears , can we meet so we can answer your questions and when i answer them we will post them so all my friends in the forum can see them them jhabib[at]gmail.com Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok..First of all..I don't know how many Linux Users there is in Lebanon..but the Lebanese people that are on this forum can reach to about 15..maybe more,maybe less not sure..you should search in other forum like the gentoo forum,the arch linux forum,the red hat forum,the mandriva forum.
    Secondly,according to my information..the pourcentage of Linux users around the world are about 0.67%,Mac ~7% and Windows ~92%..Im not 100% sure about those stats..but I think im close..so the Lebanese Linux users are not more than the Windows users..
    Have you helped companies and/or organisations to integrate Ubuntu in their operations?
    - In your opinion, can the open source software movement defeat (or severely cripple) Microsoft in the marketplace?
    I really cant answer that since I am only 15..
    You might want to see those stats:Link
    Other resource that might be useful to you..
    Lebanese Linux User Group:LLUG
    Linux Lebanon:Linux.com.lb
    Last edited by Kadrus; June 5th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.

Beans

Hey,

I would really be interested in the results of your research. Could I get a copy of your final report ?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Babarock View Post
    Hey,

I would really be interested in the results of your research. Could I get a copy of your final report ?

Thanks
    Yeah, me too.