Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu Server 8.04 on Netfinity 5000 - no cdrom

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Ubuntu Server 8.04 on Netfinity 5000 - no cdrom

Hi All,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu Server 8.04 on my IBM Netfinity 5000. I boot from the CD and after keyboard selection it says it can't find the CDROM.

The machine has SCSI disks (that are found), but the CDROM is IDE (primary master). I've run Linux on this machine before (Gentoo) without problems.

Looking through the bootlog, I noticed that it wasn't initializing ACPI since the bios < 1999, so I added acpi=force to the kernel parameters, but that didn't help.

In fact, I don't see anything about IDE/ATA at all in the boot log. Does 8.04 not support some of the older IDE controllers?

I also found the latest firmware on IBM's website and flashed my BIOS, but that didn't help either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu Server 8.04 on Netfinity 5000 - no cdrom

If you know that the CD-ROM is hda, you can try the kernel parameter hda=cdrom. Another parameter is all_generic_ide. Sometimes there is a BIOS setting that makes the IDE interface hard for the kernel to see. Look for that also.

Beans

Thanks, all_generic_ide sounds like what I need since /dev/hda doesn't even exist. I'll try it tonight.

Beans

OK, all_generic_ide did not seem to help. Still no /dev/hda. Is there any other options I can try? Is there a way to force the kernel to load the correct IDE chipset driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sometimes the last error in the log is not the one that is really causing the problem. Maybe it is ACPI that is the cuprit. You can use alt-PageUp to page upward through the boot log to see when the first error occurred. If the first error is an ACPI error, then the kernel parameter would be acpi=off. If you disable this system, and if this allows the kernel to boot, then you should be able to install the system.

Beans

Actually, there aren't any errors in the log that I can see. I noticed that for ubuntu 7 there are threads on all_generic_ide that reference a modprobe failure, but I'm not seeing that. It just doesn't seem to see any IDE devices at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One more thought. The PATA module is called piix, I think. (PATA=IDE). You can try this. Add the kernel parameter break=top. That will force a break in the kernel loading after it gets the initrd image loaded. You get a command line. On the command line, enter:
    Code:
    modprobe piix
    exit
    Just a guess...

Beans

Solved!

There's no piix driver, but

Code:
    modprobe ide_generic
    worked! Not sure why it's not loading that module by default...

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billbrasky66 View Post
    Solved!

There's no piix driver, but

Code:
    modprobe ide_generic
    worked! Not sure why it's not loading that module by default...

Thanks!
    believe it or not, i am in the exact same boat! Netfinity 5000, and cannot get past the cd-rom discovery phase. i see your fix... how exactly do I program it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ColOneill View Post
    believe it or not, i am in the exact same boat! Netfinity 5000, and cannot get past the cd-rom discovery phase. i see your fix... how exactly do I program it?
    After the kernel boots and you get the keyboard type select screen, press ALT-F1 and it will say, "press enter to activate this terminal". Press enter, then type "modprobe ide_generic" and it should load the driver. Then type "ls -l /dev/hda" and you should see that the hda device now exists.

Press ALT-F7 (it's one of the F-keys) to get back to the install process and when you get to the CDROM select screen it should now find it properly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast