Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu UMPC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu Netbook Remix + new Asus Eee PC

I think it would be great if there was a Media Centre Remix, similar to the Netbook Remix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Ubuntu UMPC?

I think it would be great if there was a Media Centre Remix, similar to the Netbook Remix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu UMPC?

All Ubuntu Netbook Remix threads have been merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

No iso for you! (from This interview with Gerry Carr)

You’ve mentioned that Ubuntu Netbook Remix isn’t for the end user; can a person actually download it?We traditionally make an ISO available that can be burned to CD. But there’s been some confusion about the Netbook Remix being made the same way. It won’t be. If you are an experienced Linux user you can go to our PPA—what we call our personal product archives. They’re basically storage repositories. There you’ll find the launcher. If you know what you’re doing and are willing to do things that we don’t recommend, you can get that PPA and put that on top of your desktop image and make it work. We make it available, but it is absolutely not recommended for someone with a Eee PC who, say, decides to get the Netbook Remix and try to make it work themselves. It can be done, but it’s not recommended for the standard user.

Why did you move away from the ISO model for the preinstalled model?Because the netbook is a different category of computer without a dominant OS. To put it another way, if the PC market started tomorrow likely we would make Ubuntu available as a free option preinstalled. The fact is that the majority of the world’s PCs ship with Windows, so we make an ISO available to displace Windows on people’s machines or give them something to install on a clean machine. We work tirelessly with PC manufacturers to ship Ubuntu preinstalled and have success like the well-publicized Dell deal, but also very large shipments in Brazil, Russia, India, and many other emerging economies. The netbook is new, there is room for more than one player, and it is of enormous convenience for the consumer to have their OS certified and preinstalled. It is likely that we will, over time, make an ISO available, but it is less a market about displacement. If you want Ubuntu, and you want this device, you can simply go and buy it.
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Aubrey View Post
    No iso for you! (from This interview with Gerry Carr)
    They make it sound horrible, but it's as easy as installing anything from Synaptic. I've got a "netbook" user on my Macbook right now, it's pretty cool but obviously not completely finished yet.

Beans

I hope they can make ISO for netbook Remix available soon. I hope this is not like situation when mysql bought by SUN, something is available, something not available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12