Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I reset the root password

Beans

I reset the root password

Im a little concerned but please keep in mind i'm new to ubuntu.

I forgot my root/admin password. I found help on resetting it here, in an archive in ubuntu forums.

The post was:

sudo passwd root

then I entered the new pass twice and it worked.

What has me concerned is that I was logged on in an ordinary account.

Am I wrong.. is this not possible?

tia

Beans

Re: I reset the root password

I understand that usually there is no root password set with Ubuntu. THis is different to many other Linux distributions where root is an important part of the system. Ubuntu does have root, but uses 'sudo' more. So the root password is your password, in a way. If you change the root password with 'sudo passwd root' it does, sudo=superuser do (root) change password, 'root' which is like changing to root, then changing its password.... if that makes sense. SO if you didn't have sudo privelages, you couldn't change root password, so no there is no problem with you doing this!

I just checked and if you type passwd root, you are not allowed to change the password, as you haven't changed users to root!
    Last edited by chronographer; June 4th, 2008 at 04:56 AM. Reason: update

Beans

in a way having sudo as opposed to su is more secure.
    For one root access can be compromised much faster and it makes the user unable to mess around with root and mess up with the system.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Creating a root password in Ubuntu is an added security risk. As is, publicizing your username. A brute-force-attack hacker, for example would know root exists...if there is no shell available except through the user account, then the hacker would need to know username and password. If root has a password...the first piece is filled in...then just the password to crack.

To disable root login:
    Code:
     sudo passwd -l root
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Last edited by spiderbatdad; June 4th, 2008 at 05:08 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just to see how secure your passwords are check out this link:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unix-li...hn-the-ripper/

Jim

Beans

Thank you,

I am surprised how quickly my post was answered, and, again, thank you.

I didn't understand that there was essentially no root pass in ubuntu.

I was trying use the update feature.. to add security update.. and it asked for an administrative password. I forgot this password and thought I had to change root. I had set root to the same pass as the account I was logged onto, which, I had thought was an ordinary account,, ie,, without admin privileges. I am guessing that the account that I was logged in with had admin privileges and that I should disable the root as instructed above.

Again, thank you, you guys rock.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbatdad View Post
    Creating a root password in Ubuntu is an added security risk. As is, publicizing your username. A brute-force-attack hacker, for example would know root exists...if there is no shell available except through the user account, then the hacker would need to know username and password. If root has a password...the first piece is filled in...then just the password to crack.

To disable root login:
    Code:
     sudo passwd -l root
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    when I was asked for a password after entering this command I left it blank. Is this how to disable or did I need to enter the root password?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fyreme View Post
    when I was asked for a password after entering this command I left it blank. Is this how to disable or did I need to enter the root password?
    The password you're asked for is the current logged-on account's password. using "passwd -l" locks the root account (that's what the "l" (letter el, not numeral one) stands for).

You will not be asked for the usual new password / retype password exchange.

sudo: Requires the password of the currently logged-on user.
    su: Requires the password of the account you're su'ing to.

It can be confusing to keep them straight at first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To reset your user password, follow these instructions: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Once you do that, be sure to
    Code:
    sudo passwd -l root
    to lock the account again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by fyreme View Post
    I didn't understand that there was essentially no root pass in ubuntu.

I was trying use the update feature..
    Just to reiterate what was said:

1.) The root account on Ubuntu is locked by default, meaning you cannot "log in" directly on it. No password will work as the password field contains a *,which locks it.

2.) The way to perform admin tasks (under the root security context), is via "sudo". "sudo" will perform a command as root, but, asking *your* password, to verify *you* are who you say you are. You are allowed this priviled because your user is in the Amin group. If you add anoter user that is not in the Admin group, then trying to use "sudo" will fail.

I hope that clarifies it.
    "Python, the language that wraps itself around a problem to squeeze out a solution, swallowing it whole."
    Linux user number #14284
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast