Thread: Sysvutils removal?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Sysvutils removal?

Have got this update this evening---has anyone else seen it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Re: Sysvutils removal?

Yes - don't advise going ahead! Wait until they sort it out.

There's an update to apt that won't install without removing synaptic and aptitude, plus a bunch of other stuff, as well......
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Sysvutils removal?

Yes-I've held those updates back. I was very sure that there was a problem in the making
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Actually, I checked the definition of sysvutils, and it explicitly says that it can be removed without danger, even though it's marked as a System file, and warnings are attached.

So I tried it. I removed just sysvutils in Synaptic; it warned that it would be removing a bunch of other things - startup-tasks, system-services, upstart, ubuntu-minimal, and so on. I wrote them all down, and clicked OK.

Then I upgraded one of the other packages that had been linked to sysvutils, and it pulled in another one. I made sure I re-installed all the packages that had been removed BEFORE doing the re-start.

And it worked! All the linked packages are upgraded, no crashes, reboots fine. I also did the laptop packages that showed up in the middle - no problems. That only leaves the apt problem and a muddle over gcc-4.2 at the moment....

HTH
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

waiting for this to get sorted out as well
    Registered Linux user #468829

http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro

OK--I did the same as scradock--I used Synaptic & removed sysvutils--Took a screenshot of everything that it was removing & reinstalled all of it after the removal. Reboot was interesting--I saw a "rescan" of the system about 5 sec into the boot & then it settled down nicely.... Only wish that I could run "splash" instead of "quiet splash" to see what it was doing at those times.

(screenshot included)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by autocrosser; June 4th, 2008 at 04:27 AM.
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by scradock View Post
    Actually, I checked the definition of sysvutils, and it explicitly says that it can be removed without danger, even though it's marked as a System file, and warnings are attached.

So I tried it. I removed just sysvutils in Synaptic; it warned that it would be removing a bunch of other things - startup-tasks, system-services, upstart, ubuntu-minimal, and so on. I wrote them all down, and clicked OK.

Then I upgraded one of the other packages that had been linked to sysvutils, and it pulled in another one. I made sure I re-installed all the packages that had been removed BEFORE doing the re-start.

And it worked! All the linked packages are upgraded, no crashes, reboots fine. I also did the laptop packages that showed up in the middle - no problems. That only leaves the apt problem and a muddle over gcc-4.2 at the moment....
    I did this successfully too. I'm sure they expect to implement a cleaner transition soon, so I wouldn't recommend it unless you understand what you are doing.
    Hello, I am a PC and I run Linux.

Beans
    Distro

As far as I know--we are moving to upstart with this release--I like the idea that it is a dynamic loader.
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498