Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: True or Pseudo-Transparent Borderless Pop-up Terminals

this is an old guide so transset is in the repositories now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

any updates on this guide? i'm looking for something similar to http://www.lynucs.org/index.php?scre...b3812&p=screen
    but i cant even get the first .tar.gz to install itself (i click the "install" button and it just closes)... plus i cant find half of the references in it?

has this been implemented as an out-of-the-box option in feisty?
    Last edited by Chymera; August 26th, 2007 at 12:50 PM.

fedex1993 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Yeah i got my transparent terminal working ever since i edited my xorg.conf beryl emerald is not loading i click reload window manager and it not working now please help

Beans

I'll update this guide as soon as I find the time, perhaps within a week or so.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

is there a command that will start the terminal without the menu bar? right now my command is:

alltray -x -g 765x450+16+35
    "gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=tterm"

The terminal comes up in the correct location but it always shows the menu bar for the terminal options.

Beans

You can disable the menu bar in the "General" tab of the profile options.

Beans

One thing I was having some issues with was the fact that every time I launched alltray, it would pop up in a different location; dispite the fact that I used

alltray --borderless --sticky -g 80x46x+3-47 "gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=transparent"

No matter what I did, it would pop up in the most random places. Finally, I tried it another way - which make since:

alltray --borderless --sticky "gnome-terminal --geometry 80x46+1+97 --window-with-profile=transparent"

obviously, substitute 'transparent' with the name of your profile. I hope this helps someone out.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Chymera View Post
    any updates on this guide? i'm looking for something similar to http://www.lynucs.org/index.php?scre...b3812&p=screen
    but i cant even get the first .tar.gz to install itself (i click the "install" button and it just closes)... plus i cant find half of the references in it?

has this been implemented as an out-of-the-box option in feisty?
    This can now be done easily with Compiz on Hardy.

Create a new profile for gnome-terminal called noborders.
    Uncheck Show menubar by default, change transparency to what you like, change Scrollbar is to Disabled.

Remove borders: Now in ccsm, go to the Window Decoration plugin. Under Decoration windows change any to (any) & !(title=noborders & class=Gnome-terminal).
    Fixed (user-specified) starting placement:In ccsm, go to the Place Windows plugin. Make a New setting for Positioned windows. The match should be (title=noborders & class=Gnome-terminal). My x-position is 400 and y-position is 300. Change those to suite you. Next time you start a new terminal it will be placed at (400,300).

Start a new terminal with
    Code:
    gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=noborders

Put gnome-terminal --window-with-profile=noborders under Sessions under gnome's System/Preferences to start it whenever you log in.

If you more options with its behavior, then use the Window Rules plugin in Compiz. Eg: to make it non movable, add (title=noborders & class=Gnome-terminal) to Non movable windows. Use the Widget Windows plugin and add (title=noborders & class=Gnome-terminal) to Widget Windows if you would like it to act like a widget (like a Screenlet).

etc, etc. so much you can do with compiz.
    Last edited by pingpongboss; May 11th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Beans

I was searching the web on how to get a borderless transparent Konsole, when I found this thread.

I dunno if it's in some old post (frankly the thread is too long!), but I wanted to say I'm pretty happy with Eterm - easily installable by yum.

Once you have Eterm, it's simply the matter of calling it by

Eterm -O --buttonBar no --scrollBar no -x -f yellow -g 120x50+0+110

alessandro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I installed xcompmgr with apt-get, then started it as "xcompmgr -n". Then I used xfce4-terminal with no border, no menu bar and in Style (or Appereance maybe, mine says "Estilo" in Spanish) I set the background color to transparent. You can choose the opacity.

Oh yes, you can use "xcompmgr -fc &" and close the terminal. That way you get even nicer effects in every window. Works great here with an Intel i810, so I must assume that performance on nVidia cards could not be less than excellent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pantallazo.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	85413  
    Last edited by Vladimir Hidalgo; September 16th, 2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added extra info.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast