Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: True or Pseudo-Transparent Borderless Pop-up Terminals

Beans

Re: HOWTO: True or Pseudo-Transparent Borderless Pop-up Terminals

Is there a way to get this running by the script where it doesn't automatically hide. Everytime I run this in the launcher is automatically hides and I have to click on it to show it so the transparency command is executed with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rjwood
    Thank you 23meg, I finally got it working with your help. There are actuall 3 or 4 different libxrender selections in synaptic. I checked them all and got the link working. the only problem now, if it is a problem is that when I click the 'tterm' icon that i created it docks ttern a second time with alltray and i have to click the new docked tterm icon to get it working. So, I basically have to click two different icons to get it to show up. Is that normal??

Thanks again for the 'How To' and the attention.
    You're welcome. No, the behavior you describe as I understand it is not normal; when you execute the script you should only get one gnome-terminal icon in your system tray. Do you mean it launches two copies of the same icon side by side?

Quote Originally Posted by ArukRei
    Is there a way to get this running by the script where it doesn't automatically hide. Everytime I run this in the launcher is automatically hides and I have to click on it to show it so the transparency command is executed with it.
    I don't exactly follow you; the terminal is meant to launch hidden by default, and to pop up once you click the tray icon. Doesn't it work like this for you? Do you want the terminal to stay on the screen all the time? Please elaborate in clearer terms.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I wanted to show you 3 different screenshots but, I don't know how to make them thumbnails or whatever they are called.
    When I log into my screen I have one 'terminal' icon set on my panel. When I hold the mouse over it, it say's 'tterm'. If I click it, Another terminal icon appears next to the time on my panel. When I hold the mouse over that one it reads 'tterm'. If I right click on it I get the small menu with alltray (greyed-out)- show/hide-exit-and-undock options. if I click it the terminal appears on the desktop properly, and a 3rd terminal icon appears on the panel labeled 'tterm (Alltray)'. When I type 'exit' in the terminal both the 2nd and 3rd icons disappear. If there is a better/easier way I would love to have it. I also have my ctrl+alt+t keys set for a terminal, perhaps I can link that command to the tterm..

BTW off subject. How do you have different sections of quotes in your reply. I only know how to do one quote.
    Last edited by rjwood; November 7th, 2005 at 04:47 PM.

Beans

I wanted to show you 3 different screenshots but, I don't know how to make them thumbnails or whatever they are called.
    When I log into my screen I have one 'terminal' icon set on my panel. When I hold the mouse over it, it say's 'tterm'. If I chick it, Another terminal icon appears next to the time on my panel. When I hold the mouse over that one it reads 'tterm'. If I right click on it I get the small menu with alltray (greyed-out)- show/hide-exit-and-undock options. if I click it the terminal appears on the desktop properly, and a 3rd terminal icon appears on the panel labeled 'tterm (Alltray)'. When I type 'exit' in the terminal both the 2nd and 3rd icons disappear. If there is a better/easier way I would love to have it. I also have my ctrl+alt+t keys set for a terminal, perhaps I can link that command to the tterm..
    Is the script you're using identical to the one you pasted in your post on the previous page? Try removing it from startup and launching it manually and see if you get the same behavior.

BTW off subject. How do you have different sections of quotes in your reply. I only know how to do one quote.
    I just manually wrap portions of the text between quote tags. Perhaps you can also do it by choosing some text and hitting the quote button on top.
    Last edited by 23meg; November 7th, 2005 at 05:04 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg
    I don't exactly follow you; the terminal is meant to launch hidden by default, and to pop up once you click the tray icon. Doesn't it work like this for you? Do you want the terminal to stay on the screen all the time? Please elaborate in clearer terms.
    Sorry for not being so discriptive. I had a problem very similar to thestarlookdown, where I had to set the sleep time high. Mine is set to 3. But my problem is that if I leave the terminal window hidden it seems to not execute the transparancy command. But if I open it, then after 2-3 seconds it goes transparent. It's just and odd error. Thanks for any help

Beans

Hmm, that's strange. Try using much shorter (0.x) and longer periods for sleep and also try not touching the tray icon during the sleep period and see if that helps.

Beans

Doesn't seem to help. I can't get the terminal to appear borderless if I put it in the startup apps and still can't get it to go transparent unless I unhide it while it put the transparentcy command

Beans

I see; try replacing the last line of the launcher script with this:

Code:
    transset-df -n "AllTray"  [opacity]
    and this

Code:
    transset-df -n "tterm"  [opacity]
    where tterm is the name of your gnome-terminal profile.

Beans

Nope.. doesn't seem to work.

Oh and is there anyway to uninstall the transaparentcy program.. it seem to screw up my flash, crashes firefox anytime i go to a page with flash in it

Beans

Of course. Remove the
    Code:
    Section "Extensions"
            Option  "Composite" "Enable"
    EndSection
    section from your xorg.conf, and then do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove xcompmgr transset-df-4

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast