Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Inspiron 1750 - Can't Connect

Beans

Cool Dell Inspiron 1750 - Can't Connect

I'm sure there's probably other topics about this, and I'm sorry in advance if there is. However, I'm easily frustrated and I just want to get this done.

I'm 100% brand-new to ubuntu and linux in general. I installed Ubunutu just fine, but I can't seem to connect to the network. My network has no security (no WEP or anything, I turned it off to try and get this to work) but I still can't get in. Even if I plug my laptop right up to my desktop's LAN cable, I can't get Ubuntu to connect to the internet at all. What's the simplest, quickest way to get this working for a complete and total newb?

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 1750 - Can't Connect

go to the terminal and type ifconfig and post output here

Beans

I have no internet on my laptop so I'll try and re-type it here as best as I can (oh boy, this is gonna be a project.)

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:18:8b:a8:8d:7f
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collision:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 0)
              Interrupt:17

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436 Metric:1
              RX packets:1532 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:1532 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:76600 (74.8 KB)  TX bytes:76600 (74.8 KB)
    It may be a little different then it would be at my house since I'm at my girlfriend's, but they're both the same brand + model number of Linksys router and it's the same computer, so I don't see what difference it would make.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Gant View Post
    I have no internet on my laptop so I'll try and re-type it here as best as I can (oh boy, this is gonna be a project.)

Code:
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:18:8b:a8:8d:7f
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collision:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 0)
              Interrupt:17

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436 Metric:1
              RX packets:1532 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:1532 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:76600 (74.8 KB)  TX bytes:76600 (74.8 KB)
    It may be a little different then it would be at my house since I'm at my girlfriend's, but they're both the same brand + model number of Linksys router and it's the same computer, so I don't see what difference it would make.
    This is gonna suck but if you can post the output of:

Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    ... that will help with troubleshooting.

EDIT: It will really really help if you get an ethernet cable and plug directly into the router.
    Last edited by vexingmodstwo; June 3rd, 2008 at 08:44 PM.

Beans

All it says is

PCI (sysfs)

and I don't know why. D:

EDIT: I tried plugging it right into the router previously, thinking it would work, but to no avail. I'll try it here though in a second. She's playing Nibbles...
    Last edited by Gant; June 3rd, 2008 at 08:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

All it says is

PCI (sysfs)

and I don't know why. D:

EDIT: I tried plugging it right into the router previously, thinking it would work, but to no avail. I'll try it here though in a second. She's playing Nibbles...
    Nothing comes up after PCI (sysfs)? That's usually just a little message telling you that stuff is being looked up.

You might have some deeper problems that I can't help you with if you don't get an output from the command above.

Beans

When I initially installed Ubuntu, I downloaded the .iso off the official website and burned it to a DVD-R using ImgBurn at 2x speed. The first time I tried, I got an error, but the second time I tried it seemed to work smoothly (barring the fact that when it cycled the tray, I needed to push it in since it's a laptop).

A lot of programs say that I can't install them because they don't support i386 computers. Does the type of computer I have have anything to do with it? I stated the model number off the top of my head before; it's actually an Inspiron E1705. Maybe my computer just can't run Ubuntu properly?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When I initially installed Ubuntu, I downloaded the .iso off the official website and burned it to a DVD-R using ImgBurn at 2x speed. The first time I tried, I got an error, but the second time I tried it seemed to work smoothly (barring the fact that when it cycled the tray, I needed to push it in since it's a laptop).

A lot of programs say that I can't install them because they don't support i386 computers. Does the type of computer I have have anything to do with it? I stated the model number off the top of my head before; it's actually an Inspiron E1705. Maybe my computer just can't run Ubuntu properly?
    We're treading in an area I'm not very well versed in (I'm a newbie too, I just happened to get this to work).

Did you download the 64 bit version?

Beans

Oh...Maybe that's where I went wrong.

On this page:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I checked the "Personal Computer" button...is that the problem? Should I have checked the 64-bit AMD/Intel button? If so, that's a pretty n00bish mistake on my part...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Oh...Maybe that's where I went wrong.

On this page:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

I checked the "Personal Computer" button...is that the problem? Should I have checked the 64-bit AMD/Intel button? If so, that's a pretty n00bish mistake on my part...
    You want to have downloaded the desktop version (the top choice in the top section) and the "Standard Personal Computer" option in the second section (the top choice in the second section).

Is that what you downloaded? If so, you have the right one as far as I know and hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge can pipe in here.

Unless you have a 64 bit laptop, of course. But then you're definitely in another area that I just have no experience with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast