Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new gOS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The new gOS

Personally, I don't like it all that much. It just feels completely poser-esque.

Wow, integrate into Myspace by putting a link on the dock? Really? Is that any technical achievement at all nowadays? I don't really think so.

Dozens of "stacks" made up of links? No actual integration whatsoever? Brilliant.

Now, if they had used widgets that integrated into the SYSTEM, and used the desktop as the social network (via widgets, Google Gadgets, and the like), then I'd gladly reconsider.

And a Leopard ripoff theme, only with green. I can understand how "No themes are truly original anymore.", but my goodness. At least use the Clearlooks engine with green or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I thought that the appearance of the system was very polished, especially the way compiz was set up by default. I liked the menu layout as well, and the theme had a nice clean look.

My two teenager's loved it! They are the target audience for gOS Space and most everything they wanted was there and ready to go. I use Ubuntu and LinuxMint myself but gOS Space is a nice fun, no hassle OS.

I did discover a nice online music site thanks to the shortcuts that gOS provided (Jango). gOS seems to make the learning curve associated with Linux more fun for the younger crowd.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    My two teenager's loved it! They are the target audience for gOS Space and most everything they wanted was there and ready to go. I use Ubuntu and LinuxMint myself but gOS Space is a nice fun, no hassle OS.
    Well, good for you and them. As someone who IS part of the younger crowd, I have to say that it REALLY needs work if it wants to deliver a full "Web 2.0 Experience". It just kind of has a cheaply-put-together feel of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr. Psychopath View Post
    well, Good For You And Them. As Someone Who Is Part Of The Younger Crowd, I Have To Say That It Really Needs Work If It Wants To Deliver A Full "web 2.0 Experience". It Just Kind Of Has A Cheaply-put-together Feel Of It.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by imagecko View Post
    Anyone who has tried the new version of gOS?
    http://www.thinkgos.com
    I think it's pretty good. I just reinstalled it and installed XFCE4, Thunar, xfce4-terminal, and Emerald and made XFCE the default. Compiz Fusion works great on here. I had to add "compiz --replace" to my Autostarted Applications and tell the Compiz Settings Manager to use Emerald as my window decorator.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Now I have tried gOS Space on one of my computers, and I'm pretty sure I will never install it again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

gOS space is really not intended for the other computers. It really needs the mini.

Anyways, this is Everex. What did you expect? Arch-like quality?
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12