• I would like to - needles scare me!

26 13.40%
  • I can't, they won't allow me etc

53 27.32%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you donate blood?

Beans

Re: How many of you donate blood?

I donate plasma twice a month. Does that count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

I am not allowed to give blood since i was born and raised in Africa. I have tried on 3 separate occasions and was denied each time.

Beans

My greatest, and most irrational, fear is needles. I'm a twitching wreck just thinking about it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Three times a year every year whether i want to or not. its either that or an expensive cocktail of drugs every 6th months that will make me severely anaemic.

my body can't dump iron properly, bloodletting works, and it is still OK for donation as it isn't a problem with the blood itself. that was an interesting doctors visit when i got the choice between nearly killing myself with chemicals or donating blood.

Beans

I wish I would but I faint easily, and do not really have much to give I guess (small body, not anemia).
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by bufsabre666 View Post
    ((raises hand)) thats why i try to give so often cause theres such a short supply of it
    That's something I*don't understand. If there's so few with that blood type, surely the demand for it is low as well? Conversely, demand for common blood types are high. My point is, wouldn't it all balance out, regardless of blood rarity?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by drumsticks View Post
    That's something I*don't understand. If there's so few with that blood type, surely the demand for it is low as well? Conversely, demand for common blood types are high. My point is, wouldn't it all balance out, regardless of blood rarity?
    Oooh logic. Yes demand has reduced a lot because more and more and more surgeries are performed without blood transfusions.
    This is not a signature.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've only donated twice, but I hope I can do it again. I'm B Positive, if anyone's keeping track.

Jordanwb: Just because more surgeries don't necessarily require blood transfusions, doesn't mean blood isn't still needed. Not all hospitals have the technology for these new surgeries. And there are still procedures which require blood transfusions. (At least, I think so.) There are definitely risks, but that's true of any medical procedure.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i just started doing it in january. and now this thread reminded me that its time to go donate some more. and yeah im new here and to linux in general.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drumsticks View Post
    Well as I understand it, those of us with AB- are considered to be universal donors for plasma and platelets but can only receive blood from other AB- people...at least I think thats how it goes? I don't really have time to look it up so I'm just going by what the RedCross told me

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast