Greetings all!

Just slapped together a cheap pc with an ATI chipset and on-board graphics drivers. I updated to all to the latest driver versions, and was actually pleasantly surprised to see how far on-board has come - decent 3d acceleration, etc...

So, I installed XP on one partition, Gutsy on another - no problems, until halfway through the after-install customization, I noticed that the screen was horizontally flickering, with or without fglrx. So, I had a Hardy CD laying around, installed it, and no improvement. Read a lot of tutorials and theories - white screened twice, therefore am on 3rd install of Hardy, as X was totally borked both times. The discussions and stories were reminiscent of whether or not Bigfoot exists - everybody has their own theory, none proven (to me) yet. I have desktops effects, compiz, etc....just constant flickering unless I remove the driver and set the resolution ridiculously low. EnvyNG did NOT work.

So, please, give a guy a hand, no Bigfoot sightings, OK? I promise you will be rewarded in Heaven for your kindness!