Thread: samba/winbind problem in Hardy

Beans

samba/winbind problem in Hardy

I'm at my wit's end, so maybe someone can help. First, I cannot use Likewise, so it's no use to suggest that. (In case you're wondering, I need users to be able to logon to their usernames without typing the domain and separator and without my mapping them all.) Second, the problem below only happens in Hardy, not in Gutsy, even though I'm configuring things the same. In fact, if I do a fresh install of Gutsy and upgrade to Hardy, there are no problems. So . . .

On a fresh install of Hardy, I can install krb5 and get a ticket for the AD admin in Windows 2003 Server. I can install samba and winbind, set up the appropriate files in the etc folder, and join the Hardy box to the network with no problem. I can logon as a normal user in AD. Then, as the Hardy desktop is about to come up, I get a "Your session only lasted 10 seconds" error, and the error log shows that a number of processes or applications (e.g., seahorse) "failed due to unknown user id" or "could not get password database information for UID of current process." There are several "500" errors like this labeled "getpwuid_r()." Then, I'm back to the logon screen. I can only reach the desktop with a local user account, but it appears the AD accounts are authenticating but getting bumped quickly because of these errors. It seems as if some credentials on the local box are not getting set properly, but I don't know how to approach this problem.

My nsswitch.conf file looks like this:
    passwd: compat winbind
    group: compat winbind
    shadow: compat

hosts: files dns wins
    networks: files

protocols: db files
    services: db files
    ethers: db files
    rpc: db files

netgroup: nis

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: samba/winbind problem in Hardy

put wins in front of dns like so:
    Code:
    passwd: compat winbind
    group: compat winbind
    shadow: compat

hosts: files wins dns
    networks: files

protocols: db files
    services: db files
    ethers: db files
    rpc: db files

netgroup: nis
    this will cause wins to be resolved before dns, and may fix your problem.

Beans

Re: samba/winbind problem in Hardy

Unfortunately, that simple change to nsswitch.conf didn't stop the error. The "failed due to unknown user ID" errors that I described above still occur with various processes (seahorse-agent, for example). The logon appears successful. The 'home' folder is created. The desktop won't come up because of the errors, though, and the user is bumped back to the logon screen after "okaying" the errors.
    Last edited by Charlotte18; June 2nd, 2008 at 09:47 PM.