Thread: Hard Drive Corrupt?

Beans

Question Hard Drive Corrupt?

I was trying to install Ubuntu Linux 8.04 on my Lenovo N200 laptop today after getting the Live CD in the post, but when I got to the partition stage, after following some advice on the internet everything seemed to go wrong. I was following the advice from a blog after a search for "dual boot ubuntu 8.04" I think it was the fourth one down. Anyway it says to create 3 partitions, a swap and to ext3 partitions. As I already have a partition for my recovery software, I used the one with Windows Vista installed. When I tried to install my first partition, the Swap one, It says partition failed and the free space on my disk went to zero. After I rebooted, thinking I would still be able to boot into windows, it said missing operating system. So I used the recovery suite and that didn't work. That failed to prepare the Hard Disk. Could someone please help me restore my Windows and dual boot Ubuntu because it looks really good. I would prefer not to use Wubi as I like to hibernate my laptop as booting times in Vista are long. Also if I did get this working would I be able to install Lenovo Care for Linux?

Thanks

Laptop Specs (Basic)

1.6 Core2Duo
    1GB Ram
    160GB HD
    DVD RW

Beans

Re: Hard Drive Corrupt?

Sorry but if it helps I may have done something wrong in partition. I think I partitioned the whole drive as a Swap partition instead of create a new partition. If I reformat as NTFS will my laptop find it?

Beans

Reformatting Works and I have now installed Windows Vista but the partitions have dissapeared. Can someone help me install it?

Beans

Same thing happened here the last version of Ubuntu did not do this on another PC. My hard disk is a 250GB WD Caviar SE but now it only shows up as a 130GB drive. The bios reads it as 250GB. I am going to try the manufacturer's program to fix it first. I should have just left well enough alone but this version of Ubuntu needs more hand holding during setup.