Thread: Editing Ubuntu Iso...

Beans

Editing Ubuntu Iso...

I was wondering if the Ubuntu license permits editing the image and adding packages?

If so, how can I edit the Ubuntu iso image, add packaged and reburn to a dvd? I don't want to keep downloading packages every time I reinstall Ubuntu and having the packages on the Ubuntu install disc would be more convenient than saving them on something else.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Editing Ubuntu Iso...

Quote Originally Posted by muffinhead View Post
    If so, how can I edit the Ubuntu iso image, add packaged and reburn to a dvd?
    My guess it that you're looking for something called remastersys. I've no experience with it, but I hope it's useful as a pointer for more info.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I was wondering if the Ubuntu license permits editing the image and adding packages?
    it does.
    However, if you re-distribute softwrae that is licensed under GPL, you too have to license it GPL.
    You are probably also not allowed to call it 'ubuntu' or use the ubuntu logo etc without permission of Canonical. Other than that, do what suits you.

If so, how can I edit the Ubuntu iso image, add packaged and reburn to a dvd? I don't want to keep downloading packages every time I reinstall Ubuntu and having the packages on the Ubuntu install disc would be more convenient than saving them on something else.
    http://www.google.be/search?hl=en&q=...untuforums.org
    or search for threads, blogw, web pages ... about remastersys, reconstructur,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    it does.
    However, if you re-distribute softwrae that is licensed under GPL, you too have to license it GPL.
    You are probably also not allowed to call it 'ubuntu' or use the ubuntu logo etc without permission of Canonical. Other than that, do what suits you.

http://www.google.be/search?hl=en&q=...untuforums.org
    or search for threads, blogw, web pages ... about remastersys, reconstructur,
    Thanks, it's just for personal use. I have no plans of redistributing anything.