Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eset's NOD32 and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Eset's NOD32 and Ubuntu

I use Ubuntu as my IMAP server, which then feeds out to several Windows workstations. I use NOD32 from Eset as my antivirus software on the windows machines, but would like to use it within Ubuntu to do primary screening. I've managed to download and install the Linux version onto the Ubuntu workstation (Eset's instructions are not totally correct) and as far as I can tell it's running in the background, though whether it is updating automatically I can't tell. I'm relatively new at Linux / Ubuntu, so don't always know where to look for help or the right command.

Question (since Eset have gone very quiet). I can't find any GUI to help with configuration. Is there one? And has anyone else experience of working with NOD32 on Ubuntu who can give me tips as to what to do, how to configure it etc.?

Beans

Re: Eset's NOD32 and Ubuntu

Hi,

if someone has an idea I'll be glad to hear someting about this.

thnx

Beans
    Hidden!

Eset tell me there is a web front end. However, I've never managed to work out where it is, if it is installed, or whether it works. And the series of hoops I had to go through to install NOD32 was horrific. In fact, I gave up. I still don't know whether NOD32 is working or not.

I come from a Windows environment and I find it very frustrating to install applications in Ubuntu / Linux, where all you get is a set of incomprehensible console commands. If Windows can simplify the process, why can't developers do it for Linux? Synaptic isn't bad, but not all apps use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

there is an upcoming Desktop Linux release with a GUI installer, you might find that easier.

Are you using some sort of mail server software on your Ubuntu box, like Postfix, Exim, etc? NOD32 can hook into those servers, but working with a Linux mail server, with or without an AV scanner, isn't simple to figure out for someone new to Linux, or even those have been working with Linux for awhile.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks. I'm never sure whether I ever actually got NOD32 working.

I've actually given up using Ubuntu for reasons related to the installation of NOD32. Why does everything have to be so complicated, when I'm told Ubuntu (and Linux) is so flexible?

And the thread mentioned above illustrates exctly why I left Ubuntu.
    Not only must I use the command line, but even the examples are wrong. And
    To compound it, there is a higher proportion (than Windows) of users who think it is clever to denigrate new users who are having difficulty

Hopefully in the future, if I try again I'll be able to use a dekstop version - as there should have been 2 years ago.
    Last edited by wislon32; January 19th, 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: correction and addition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wislon32 View Post

I've actually given up using Ubuntu for reasons related to the installation of NOD32. Why does everything have to be so complicated, when I'm told Ubuntu (and Linux) is so flexible?
    You don't need and antivirus in Ubuntu, and in general any Linux distro.
    Quote Originally Posted by wislon32 View Post
    To compound it, there is a higher proportion (than Windows) of users who think it is clever to denigrate new users who are having difficulty
    This is not true.

Beans

Eset are now running a BETA of their desktop nod32 av product. see http://beta.eset.com/linux for more details.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n0dix View Post
    You don't need and antivirus in Ubuntu, and in general any Linux distro.

This is not true.
    Did you really just say that? Of course you need an Anti Virus when running ANY system, it dont matter if its Windows, Linux, or Unix. All though Virus's are rare in Linux and Unix they are still there. Always remember, if a program can be written for an Operating System, Then a Virus can be written for that same Operating System.

People kept saying that Macs (Unix) Was secure and could not get a virus (I heard this from "Security Pros") I dis-agreed with them. Now here we are, with all these infected Macs, people didnt listen.

Eset is what you should get, im going to get it, it might be hard to install but Eset's webpage should have instructions on it.

The beauty of Linux is the ability to do whatever you want, and this is made possible through the Terminal. Truthfully once you get the hang of BASH everything becomes easier then it was on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkin15 View Post
    Did you really just say that? Of course you need an Anti Virus when running ANY system, it dont matter if its Windows, Linux, or Unix. All though Virus's are rare in Linux and Unix they are still there. Always remember, if a program can be written for an Operating System, Then a Virus can be written for that same Operating System.

People kept saying that Macs (Unix) Was secure and could not get a virus (I heard this from "Security Pros") I dis-agreed with them. Now here we are, with all these infected Macs, people didnt listen.

Eset is what you should get, im going to get it, it might be hard to install but Eset's webpage should have instructions on it.

The beauty of Linux is the ability to do whatever you want, and this is made possible through the Terminal. Truthfully once you get the hang of BASH everything becomes easier then it was on Windows.
    Just use Bitdefender for now until NOD32 releases a viable Deb installation.

Bitdefender installation directions are about 1/4 the way down this guide:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-d...erick-meerkat/

It is identical, since I have used both. Actually I would say Bitdefender is better, has the exact same GUI and management capabilities, because it's free and it has larger automatically updatable definition lists to draw from. IMHO

Nod32 was great years and years and years ago.. If you only used NOD32 with Windows, that would completely explain why someone would switch to Linux eventually. Just research a recent review Bitdefender verses Nod32.
    Last edited by linuxinstalledfromhdd; June 9th, 2011 at 07:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast