Thread: Nvidia drivers mysteriously unconfigure themselves

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nvidia drivers mysteriously unconfigure themselves

I've set up my girlfriend's computer with Hardy Heron, and made KDE4 the default. Everything is fine except for the 3D drivers that her NVidia FX5200 needs.

I've tried setting the computer (in "systemsettings") to use the correct "nvidia" driver instead of the crappy "nv" one, but the setting does not survive a reboot.

I've tried using tools such as Envy and Jockey to set it up, and I got the driver working long enough that she could enjoy Compiz. I think she even rebooted successfully and it still worked. But this morning, she booted up and there was no more 3D acceleration, leading to a Compiz failure. Her computer has reverted to "nv" instead of "nvidia".

Why oh why is this happening? I can't conceive of any possible reason why this should occur.

NB: This is not a question about Compiz; it is about video drivers.
    Last edited by ChameleonDave; June 5th, 2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Not solved!

Beans

Re: Nvidia drivers mysteriously unconfigure themselves

I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Hidden!

is it getting saved to your xorg.conf file? if you're messing with nvidia-settings stuff and havent launched it with sudo, it may not save changes to xorg.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Editing /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common seems to have done the trick, thank you. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by aeiah View Post
    is it getting saved to your xorg.conf file? if you're messing with nvidia-settings stuff and havent launched it with sudo, it may not save changes to xorg.
    If the settings had not been saved, then I never would have got it working in the first place. I'm not asking how to get it working, but how to keep it working.

Beans
    Hidden!

nvidia-settings changes will work for the session without saving to xorg, thats why i asked.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    Tried it. Also tried the suggestion here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=795997

The driver installs OK, everything works fine, I can reboot and it still works.

But them after one or two more reboots, 3d acceleration fails and the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file reverts to how it was.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK, I've now tried the EDID trick described at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792276#5, but even then it still doesn't stay configured.

After about three reboots it reverts to crapness.

Somebody please help! What possible mechanism can be rewriting my xorg.conf file?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've now upgraded to kernel 2.6.24-19, and everything seemed to be working so quickly and smoothly, with all the 3D acceleration. I was convinced that the problem had been solved.

But then it failed again. It was just on a nice long stretch. We logged on several times before it happened.

I've now resorted to writing a small bash script that restores the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a working version, and I've put a link to it on my girlfriend's desktop, so that she can click on it, hit Ctrl + Alt + Backspace, and log in again with 3D acceleration.

But I want a solution! What program is it that constantly rewrites my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?? How can I stop this rogue program?