Thread: Firefox dislikes GTK+ Aurora theme

Beans

Unhappy Firefox dislikes GTK+ Aurora theme

I have been theme-testing for a few days and have found one of the coolest themes out there. It is Aurora Midnight and I would highly recommend it. However, there is one problem. Firefox is very quirky about it. I am also aware that this is in Thunderbird and OpenOffice.org, too. Sometimes it will highlight things two different ways. Other times, it may draw a box around something that isn't supposed to have a box. Let me show you with pictures of my iGoogle page:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bionic Apple; June 2nd, 2008 at 03:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox dislikes GTK+ Aurora theme

I am using this theme on Firefox 3 and have the same problem. I already asked the developer of the theme engine if he could fix it.

The problem comes from the background of the widgets. In normal GTK apps, a button has background color as the color of the thing he is placed in (his parent widget). Since Firefox is not a GTK program, it just takes the widget with some default background. In the Midnight theme it is black and is what causes these ugly boxes around things. I think it is possible to fix, because Combo Box widgets don't have an ugly box around them - because they have a transparent background. If one could change the other widgets to have a transparent background, all would be nice. I have the source code here and tried fixing it, but I can't program in GTK, so it's too hard. That is why I asked the developer, let's wait and see if he can come up with something.
    make install - not war!

Oh hai!

Beans

So, basically there is no hope for this problem unless we get a bored GTK coder in here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic Apple View Post
    So, basically there is no hope for this problem unless we get a bored GTK coder in here?
    There is hope, but you probably have to ask the developer of the Aurora theme engine to fix it.

Beans

I'll see if I can find his email, as it is probably on gnome-look.org.

Update: Alright, I emailed him for clarification.
    Last edited by Bionic Apple; June 2nd, 2008 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Update

Beans

Bump, plus I have emailed the Firefox GTK+ developer (I think). So that is two people who will hopefully shed some light on this problem.

Beans

Bump, plus apparently Firefox RC2 is going to be released in about a day. I found that out while waiting for a GTK+ developer in the IRC.
    Last edited by Bionic Apple; June 4th, 2008 at 01:10 AM.