Thread: [SOLVED] Very slow wifi with Hardy on Inspiron 1525

Beans

Very slow wifi with Hardy on Inspiron 1525

I'm running a fresh install of Hardy 64bit on a Dell Inspiron 1525. Wireless wasn't working out of the box, but I got it running with ndiswrapper by following the instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...b23a11d8e0e9dc.

Though wireless now works, it is really slow, around 1/Mbps. The wireless card is a Broadcom 4310. iwconfig outputs this:

ru@toaster:~$ iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:"linksys"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:06:25:7B:51:6B
    Bit Rate=11 Mb/s Tx-Power:32 dBm
    RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality:68/100 Signal level:-52 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:724 Invalid misc:220278 Missed beacon:0

I'm curious about the huge number of invalid miscs. The other computers I have running here have few to no invalid miscs or excessive retries. Additionally, Vista on the same computer is really slow with wireless. I haven't bothered looking for a fix for Vista, but if wifi is slow under both, could it be possible that I have a hardware issue with the card?

I've looked high and low for a fix, but I keep coming up dry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Very slow wifi with Hardy on Inspiron 1525

For anyone who is interested or has a similar problem, I traced the issue to the driver. Apparently, the driver used by the instructions in the link in the original post, as well as Vista, doesn't play nicely with Wireless-B networks. Once I replaced the router with one capable of Wireless-G, everything worked fine.