Thread: HELP! Computer lost power while running Hardy update

Beans

HELP! Computer lost power while running Hardy update

While running my Gutsy to update to Hardy, the computer froze and I had to hard restart. Now, I have both kernel 2.6.24-16 and 2.6.24-14 in my GRUB and neither one works! My 24-14 gets to the Username/Password prompt, and then freezes upon trying to login, and my 24-16 freezes on the ubuntu loading splash page.

I tried running 'dpkg --configure -a' for both, but I tried for 2 weeks in 24-16 and it was doing a different dpkg configure than I'm used to and didn't seem to go anywhere (got over 1000000). My 24-14 came back with errors and didn't run at all.

I burned an ISO for Hardy to try and rescue it, but the disc doesn't respond when I hit Enter to Install Ubuntu.

I am so burnt out by this; is there anyone that can offer any advice?

I don't care too much about saving the install, but the data on the drive is very important.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by e_racer1999; June 1st, 2008 at 06:17 PM.

Beans

Re: HELP! Computer lost power while running Hardy update

I burned an ISO for Hardy to try and rescue it, but the disc doesn't respond when I hit Enter to Install Ubuntu.
    Did you check the md5sum to see if it matched after you downloaded the iso and have you checked the cd for errors? Also what speed did you burn the iso at? Instead of choosing to install what happens if you choose the first option which is to use without making system changes.
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.