Thread: How to stop wireless manager from auto-connecting to the WRONG network?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How to stop wireless manager from auto-connecting to the WRONG network?

Greetings!

I have a minor issue with my install of Hardy (also had the same issue with Gutsy) While everything works on my Thinkpad T42, for some reason my Wireless Manager keeps auto-connecting me to my neighbor's wireless network, rather than my own. Now, I can make it connect by left-clicking on the wireless meter and selecting my own network, and MY signal is the MUCH stronger one. So it's not a general connectivity issue.

Our wireless routers are also using different channels. Mine is 1, his is 11. So no conflict there. Also, once it is on my network, it STAYS on my network, until I reboot or shut down and cold start. If I log out and in again, or log into another user profile, the wireless stays on my network.

For some reason, the moment I log in from a cold start or reboot, the Wireless heads to my neighbor's router, and I have no idea why.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's not a major issue, but it IS annoying.
    ----------------------------
    Mmmmm... Delicious Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How to stop wireless manager from auto-connecting to the WRONG network?

I had similar problems. Most of my neighbours have wireless networks. I ended up using manual configuration for networks. I manually joined my home network and then saved the configuration as a location. I also did the same for my office location and several other places I haunt. My wireless card is automatically set to roaming. Since I saved my preferred locations I haven't logged onto the wrong network when roaming. I hope this helps.