Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro Keyboard Help

Beans

Macbook Pro Keyboard Help

hi everyone, just switched to Ubuntu a couple of days ago, and I had a few questions about the keyboard...

1) How can i change the control key to the command key? Like how it is in OS X compared to Windows, all actions done with the control key in windows are done with the command key in OS X, and I would like to use the command key in ubuntu for all of the control key actions also. How do i do this?

2)This one is kind of an application question. I use quicksilver in mac, and i have the shortcut set to command-space. I want to set up Gnome-do to do the same thing, how can i do this?

3) Last, but probably the most important, how can i set it up in firefox, so that when i hit the delete key, it will go back a page?

4) One more, is it possible to make delete a file be command + delete key?

Thanks for the help !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Macbook Pro Keyboard Help

Quote Originally Posted by speedemonV12 View Post
    1) How can i change the control key to the command key? Like how it is in OS X compared to Windows, all actions done with the control key in windows are done with the command key in OS X, and I would like to use the command key in ubuntu for all of the control key actions also. How do i do this?
    This only swaps the Left side I think, but this is how to do it:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...88&postcount=4

2)This one is kind of an application question. I use quicksilver in mac, and i have the shortcut set to command-space. I want to set up Gnome-do to do the same thing, how can i do this?
    Skipping this one because I have no idea.

3) Last, but probably the most important, how can i set it up in firefox, so that when i hit the delete key, it will go back a page?
    I find this very annoying also... In firefox, type in the address bar "about:config". Once in the config, type "backspace" in the filter. Set the value for "browser.backspace_action" to 0

4) One more, is it possible to make delete a file be command + delete key?
    I sure it is possible, but do not know where.

Beans

thanks for the firefox and the link to the keyboard mapping.. i will try and figure that one out... i actually was just about to edit my post to add the fact the i want Ctrl + Click to be right click, which is what he was looking for, but never figured out how do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

thanks for the firefox and the link to the keyboard mapping.. i will try and figure that one out... i actually was just about to edit my post to add the fact the i want Ctrl + Click to be right click, which is what he was looking for, but never figured out how do it.
    Honestly, I don't think that one can be done without modifying something (synaptics?) You can multi-finger-tap to middle and right click (i.e tap three fingers), you can map a keyboard key to right click as mentioned in the Macbook wiki, or you can use the modified synaptics module to get fingers+click working like in OSX: http://launchpad.net/~mactel-support/+archive

Beans

hmm .. there has to be a way!!!

but i tried the swap link that you gave me, but no luck.. any other suggestions?
    this has got to be a common problem, i can imagin lots of people running ubuntu on macbook would want to change those two keys..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hmm .. there has to be a way!!!

but i tried the swap link that you gave me, but no luck.. any other suggestions?
    this has got to be a common problem, i can imagin lots of people running ubuntu on macbook would want to change those two keys..
    Make sure you run xmodmap with your config file:
    Code:
    xmodmap ~/.xmodmap
    Adding this command to your sessions startup will enable it on every boot. See the Macbook Pro Wiki for a similar process for another function.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro
    Last edited by cyberdork33; May 20th, 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

i dont have a xmodmap file in my home directory.. do i need to create it, and then just put this in the file and save as .xmodmap in my home directory?

!
    ! Swap Control_L and Super_L
    !
    remove mod4 = Super_L
    remove control = Control_L
    keysym Control_L = Super_L
    keysym Super_L = Control_L
    add mod4 = Super_L
    add control = Control_L

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i dont have a xmodmap file in my home directory.. do i need to create it, and then just put this in the file and save as .xmodmap in my home directory?

!
    ! Swap Control_L and Super_L
    !
    remove mod4 = Super_L
    remove control = Control_L
    keysym Control_L = Super_L
    keysym Super_L = Control_L
    add mod4 = Super_L
    add control = Control_L
    yep

Beans

ok, so i have that file saved in my home directory,
    and this is in my session startup :

xmodmap ~/.xmodmap

but it did not change anything, the command keys still dont give me what the ctrl key does. any ideas?

Beans

ok, so i have figured out what i am going to do .. but i have a problem.. where can i get a list of all the commands that i can make a key do? So like i have a keycode, and i am going to put that code into .xmodmap, but where can i find a list of choices that i can make that key do ?

Like i want the right apple key to have the function of the control key
    I want the enter key right next to the right apple key to be my delete key.
    And i want to make the ctrl key right click( i figured out how to make the right apple key right click, but im going to change it to the left control key)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast