Thread: laptop boots, read lid as closed, and suspends

Beans

Exclamation laptop boots, read lid as closed, and suspends

My laptop has decided, without intervention that I can think of, that it should read it's lid as always being closed. So when I boot up and log in, it loads up the power manager, displays a message that the lid is closed and suspends.

Nothing I've been able to do (e.g., passing noacpi and noapm to the kernel at boot) has arrested the process, but I don't think it's a hardware problem because if it was wouldn't the screen never come on? Also, I can boot into failsafe mode and have command line use all day long without problem.

So anyone know how to change things to prevent this from happening, particularly changes I can make from the command line? The power settings (i.e., the rule that says to suspend when the lid is closed) have to be stored somewhere. If I can edit that to keep it from suspending, at least I'd be able to use the box.

Thanks.

Details
    kubuntu Hardy
    Compaq Presario 2200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: laptop boots, read lid as closed, and suspends

I have no way to try this but, it couldn't hurt to give it a shot:

Code:
    sudo chmod -rx /etc/acpi/lid.sh
    Reverse it by changing -rx to +rx.
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Thanks, vor, but not joy. I chmod'ed /etc/acpi/lid.sh and /etc/apm/apmd_proxy, but still get the same results.

I'm about ready to bag it and reinstall Gutsy. I never had problems with any of this power management stuff before going to Hardy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Having the same problem running Kubuntu Hardy on an HP Pavillion ze4900. It happens whenever X server is restarted... I can work around it by changing the action from suspend to do nothing.