This is an HP thread that might explain some of the problems:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582220

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

Re: Can't Install ANY Distro of Linux

Quote Originally Posted by alzie View Post
    Its been a while since I used wubi...

I searched around and the HP Pavilion a705w does seem to have issues, the workaround is to add the parameter " acpi=off " (without the quotes)

From the wubiguide
    You should be able to set acpi=off there.

Link to wubi guide is : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#he...c9b0f3860f194b

Link to the wubi forums is :http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=234

I recommend the wubi forums, the people there do a great job.

I hope this helps you
    I just tried this option just 5 minutes ago and got a "Bad string or file command" or something of the sort

Quote Originally Posted by alguin2 View Post
    Have you tried the Live CD (HH 8.04), just to check if Ubuntu can boot? That's how I installed Ubuntu. I think that there's an option of installing Linux within the Windows filesystem from the LiveCD. I myself installed by creating a real partition.

Try booting from a cold powerdown, safe graphics, etc, if the default LiveCD boot doesn't work.

Good luck.
    I've tried every option on the esc menu including the live CD, no dice

Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    This is an HP thread that might explain some of the problems:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582220
    That thread is about laptops, this is a desktop.

I think I'm stuck, I'm giving up unless someone has a fix I haven't tried. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Bump. He may have given up, but I sure haven't, I will continue to bump this thread until someone answers my cries for help or this forum shuts down.

Beans

Good luck sparo007, I'm just gonna install it on another computer I have laying around. I have this thread subscribed so if it ever gets solved I'll be sure to change the title to reflect its status.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been googling. I did find this link:
    http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...d.php?t=799725

It was suggested to the poster to try and install ubuntu using vmware. The poster was able to but was unable to work with wubi or from the live cd.

Another poster, Ago said

If you have the same problems when you boot from live CD it is not wubi related. It is unlikely that you have a bad ISO since wubi checks the md5.

The fact that you can install to vm suggest that it might be an incompatibility with your hardware. There are workarounds for that via boot parameters like xforcevesa or acpi=off or irq=poll.

Such workarounds can be enabled from the Live CD (see boot options) or Wubi (press esc at boot). You will have to search for the make and model of your machine to find the appropriate parameters to use.

Also, if you do not find any existing bug in launchpad, open a new one, reporting your hardware issues, so that it can be addressed for good.
    I'm hoping this will help. If you think you've found a bug, report it and you help others.
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sparo007 View Post
    Bump. He may have given up, but I sure haven't, I will continue to bump this thread until someone answers my cries for help or this forum shuts down.

I'm trying to run 8.04 from the disk on an HP Pavilion a705w as well. No answers yet, and it's fair to guess by my user name that I may not be the one to solve the problem.

The latest message I got was:

---
    /etc/init.d/rc: 317: sed: not found (<--- this one over and over)
    ---

on hitting <enter> I got:

---
    init: Unable to execute "/bin/sh" for rc-default: No such file or directory
    init: rc-default main process (7572) terminated with status 255
    ---

Just another data point. I will work on figuring out how to implement the suggestions mentioned in messages above. Of course, any help is gratefully received...

Beans

"Bump"

Anyone?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12