Thread: Connection Issues

Beans

Connection Issues

My Internet connection seems to be going off and on at its own will. The network notification thing tells me im still connected, but when i use any application that requires the internet it doesn't connect.Any Ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Connection Issues

Quote Originally Posted by djuta View Post
    My Internet connection seems to be going off and on at its own will. The network notification thing tells me im still connected, but when i use any application that requires the internet it doesn't connect.Any Ideas?
    Are you using wireless? In that case, maybe power management is turning off the wireless. You can change this behavior. If you are using wireless, post back here for the commands.

If you are using a wired connection, open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal), then give the following command and post the output here.
    Code:
    dmesg | grep link
    That will tell us if the link is being interrupted for any reason (bad cable, router power supply, collisions, renegotiation, etc)
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

yes i am using wireless

Beans

Hi. I am new to Ubuntu. My friends son just installed it for me. I cannot get my wirless lan to work. Can anyone help? I have a Compaq Presario V4000.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by djuta View Post
    yes i am using wireless
    Try using the following commands to turn off power management for your wireless:
    Code:
    sudo iwconfig eth0 txpower fixed
    sudo iwconfig eth0 power off
    sudo iwconfig commit
    The third command may give an error as "feature not supported" that can be ignored.

Either one of the first two commands should work and will take effect immediately, _until_ your next reboot.

So give the commands, then surf for an hour or two to check if it is effective. If it is effective, you can add the commands to your "/etc/rc.local" to take effect on every reboot.

Note that in the rc.local file, the last line should not be disturbed (ie, "exit 0")
    Cheers,PRShah

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arachal View Post
    Hi. I am new to Ubuntu. My friends son just installed it for me. I cannot get my wirless lan to work. Can anyone help? I have a Compaq Presario V4000.
    Why not try my step-by-step guide (with expected outputs) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=756260) to set up your wireless network card? If you run into any problems, post back which step you are stuck at.

Note that the Presario V4000 carries an Intel 2200 wireless card, which _should_ be detected automatically. So I suggest that you start from step 9.
    Cheers,PRShah

Beans

thank you very much for the help