Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The only thing that sucks about Ubuntu Hardy! Need help with connection sharing

Beans

Angry The only thing that sucks about Ubuntu Hardy! Need help with connection sharing

It is 2008 and I am expected to mess around for hours trying to configure a static network for internet sharing!

Why is there not something in the Network Manager like there is for internet sharing like there is in Windoze and OSX?

This is whart is needed!

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/118

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: The only thing that sucks about Ubuntu Hardy!

Preach dammit!
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Yes that is a pain. I tried doing that and spent hours, days, weeks! trying to get it to work. I got two computers able to ping each other, but I couldn't get them to share the Ethernet. Finally just gave up and bought a router.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sharing-in...in-ubuntu.html

worked fine for me a year ago before i got the wireless router, although i dont know how to use your computer as a wireless router, thats pretty cool

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It just comes down to knowing the tools... It can be pretty easy if you are using something like firestarter (GUI to do it) or ipkungfu (simple config files) as your interface to iptables. In either of these you can pretty easily set up, enable or disable internet connection sharing.

Beans

He isn't the only one with this gripe with Ubuntu. My brother told me, after his XP install ate itself, he would have used Ubuntu if it wasn't for the fact he couldn't share his network connection.

His pc has wifi and ethernet and in xp he could connect his ps3 via the pc to the internet. I don't think it is something to be dismissed as non-essential.

I too would like something simple in GUI form to bridge any network connections.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Moved to Networking and Wireless. Perhaps someone will help you get it working in here.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    It just comes down to knowing the tools... It can be pretty easy if you are using something like firestarter (GUI to do it) or ipkungfu (simple config files) as your interface to iptables. In either of these you can pretty easily set up, enable or disable internet connection sharing.

It is 2008. I am a user not a sysadmin running a server from the command line. I see a few others share my view that this should be easier. Firestarter has not worked for me so far.

Anyway thanks to those who reply. I have someone on IRC helping me with this. That is the thing that is great about Ubuntu.

Beans

The really great thing about ubuntu is the community. My solution is here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...19#post5092719

I hope some network sharing 'thingie' could be a feature of Intrepid Ibex.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The only thing that sucks about Ubuntu Hardy! Need help with connection sharing

Not sure if any one has mentioned it but Firestarter can do this pretty painlessly. Take a look at this.

http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php
    The Other Ubuntu Search Engine touse
    Before following advice look at this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast