Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running on a USB drive

Beans

Running on a USB drive

Hey I have a 8gig USB drive and I want to run ubuntu on that because I don't want to partition out my harddrive is it possible to install and boot from a usb drive? Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Running on a USB drive

there are many guides on the internet about it. I quick google returns many useful results. This however should do nicely:
    http://www.teamteabag.com/2008/03/07...eron-from-usb/
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

The answer is ....probably.

You need hardware that can boot a usb drive (not all can), if your bios has options for booting from usb you will probably be fine.

Assuming your hardware is up to snuff, you then have two options:

1) Install onto the flash drive exactly as if it was a hard drive. Major downside here is that the flash drive may die sooner than you'd like as the OS treats it as if it is a normal hard drive, and doesn't worry about writing lots of times to the drive. Also this means the install will be customised to one pc.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...drive-install/

P.S. the article posted by the previous poster is not ideal if you want to store anything, that makes a live cd type install, but no persistance of data, all work is lost when you turn off.

2) Make a persistant live install. This will try and limit writes to the flash drive, and allows you to run it on any pc (like a live cd), whilst letting you store data, and install new programs. I believe you can't update the kernel easily however (I could be wrong there though).

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/04...drive-install/

The site I've linked to has a lot of resources about this topic in general, have a browse

Beans

Well I installed it just fine on a USB disk but then it would require me to choose which os I wanted when booting and I just want to boot directly from the usb and not have to choose with grub. And when I would take out the usb it would not boot into windows. I would get grub error 21. I put the stick back in and was able to boot back into windows and I used easybcd to fix the boot problem but now when I try to boot just from the stick it says missin operating system. Anyone got any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Fix your Windows MBR with Super Grub:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bdiskpage.html
    Next time; at step 8, 'Advanced Tab', change (hd0) for /dev/???
    where ??? is your USB. You can find out with:
    sudo fdisk -lu

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

I've already fixed the windows mbr. How do I find out where my usb is? Where do I type that? you'll have to forgive me I'm still a little new to this.

Beans
    Distro

Copy and paste command to the Terminal:
    Applications>Accessories>Terminal

Libertad 584

Beans

you know I was looking for that and couldn't find it and it was right there lol. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Beans

Well I installed it and changed the bootloader to the usb drive like it was mentioned above but not when I select boot from USB it brings up the grub bootloader again asking which OS I want to boot from even though there is only one on the usb drive. When I select ubuntu it says error 17 cannot mount partition.

oh and I also posted in the network section about how I would connect my cable modem with comcast using ubuntu and no one has replied. A little help please?

Beans
    Distro

Boot your Ubuntu with Super Grub:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bdiskpage.html

Libertad 584

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast