Thread: Nautilus Feature Based on BeOS Tracker

Beans

Nautilus Feature Based on BeOS Tracker

The user Nikola, on GNOMESupport Forum, posted a mockup of a cool feature to Nautilus, based on BeOS Tracker, and I want to know you what you think.
    "In BeOS Tracker, right clicking on a folder will bring out menu thru you can navigate realy fast."
    I think that we need a feature request or (better!) a patch to this.
    Link: http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewt...302&highlight=
    Last edited by EdCrypt; December 14th, 2004 at 05:55 PM.
    Before ask "why open one window for each folder?", please read this, this, this, this, this(search for spatial), this and this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Nautilus Feature Based on BeOS Tracker

Yeah, it's cool in the short run, however, on my system, I can easily get folders with 10,000+ files -- especially poorly designed source trees. I'd hate to accidentally invoke that menu!
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Yes, I agree with Nikola, that would be awesome. Just like him, I use BeOS...wait a minute... that was me who posted that on gnomesupport forum
    I hope someone is looking, Nautilus is almost perfect, just needs some way to quickly navigate to deep nested folders other then crtl+l menu.

Beans

I used that feature when I was a BeOS user, and believe me it is the sweetest imaginable way to navigate your system.

But if you follow the link in the original post, it seems the Gnome devs are against it, and I don't see Ubuntu breaking ranks with Gnome over something as fundamental as this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by clasqm
    But if you follow the link in the original post, it seems the Gnome devs are against it.
    Yeah, they think it would be problem with folders with huge list of subfolders. Tracker didn't have problem with it.
    I think their excuse is bad one. Right now navigation in Nautilus is half-broken, IMHO. I like spatial, but navigating into some deep nested folder is PITA. Right now Nautilus is almost 90% copy of Tracker, why not copy only remaining Tracker feature?

Beans

Maybe a if the community show that they are wrong and that it is a important and much wanted feature...
    Before ask "why open one window for each folder?", please read this, this, this, this, this(search for spatial), this and this.