Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Gutsy works but Hardy doesn't in the same computer??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Why Gutsy works but Hardy doesn't in the same computer??

Thats right. Revert back to gutsy and keep in touch with the Forums. We would let you know if all issues have been neutralized. And ofcourse, Gutsy is supported till April 2009, so there no issue of not getting the latest update either
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Why Gutsy works but Hardy doesn't in the same computer??

Quote Originally Posted by gakna View Post
    Brigadoon, my graphic card is nvidia geforce 6150 SE integrated to the motherboard, and the processor is AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 4000+.
    The acpi=off didn´t work for me, only logging in safe graphic mode but with the problem of the low resolution.
    Any ideas? just to know, because maybe it's just something really easy to solve...at least to try Hardy even if i don't upgrade to it
    Nvidia drivers seem to have a pattern of not interpreting a monitor's native resolution modes. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1415-S173 laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go with 16 Meg of RAM. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 but had driver resolution issues as well. The driver either locked into a 800x600 screen resolution or went to a choppy 969x768 screen resolution with much tweaking. While running 969x768 resolution I ended up with a black bar on the right side of the screen. My flat panel display didn't have a 969x768 resolution but did have a 1024x768. 1024 - 969 = black bar on right side of the flat panel display.

Fortunately... and you need to know a little about editing a binary file... I was able to fix the problem. My Nvidia X Server Settings console has a switch called Acquire EDID. The Acquire EDID button allows you to save the display device's EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) information to a file. Using a binary editor I was able to modify the EDID file changing the 969 to 1024. I then added the Option "CustomEDID" "/path/to/patched/EDID.file" to the XORG.CONF located in /etc/X11 folder. I placed my edid.bin file in the /etc/X11 folder.

Your resolution issues may be related to the issue I had. You need to know what the resolution modes are for your display and what hexadecimal locations to change. Editing a binary file is not as hard as you might imagine. You can load a hex editor for free through the Synaptic Package Manager. Help on how to edit the xorg.conf and binary files can be found on Wikipedia. I posted the details to my fix at this link...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=773391

I find the latest version of Ubuntu to be an improvement over older versions. It's a shame that Nvidia can't get their act together to keep these resolution problems from happening in the first place. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12