Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cp/m

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Cp/m

Hi,

I am currently studying computing and IT, which is how I learn about Linux in Robert Cringely Book Accidental Empires - but this was published in 1990 before the day of Ubuntu and how Open Source is today. It was a new thing back in 1990.

Out of interest could someone tell me if CP/M Operating System is stilled used today and is there a Graphical User Interface that uses it?

I am not planing on leaving Ubuntu but interested to improve my knowledge.

Thanks

Toby

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Cp/m

Hi,

I am currently studying computing and IT, which is how I learn about Linux in Robert Cringely Book Accidental Empires - but this was published in 1990 before the day of Ubuntu and how Open Source is today. It was a new thing back in 1990.

Out of interest could someone tell me if CP/M Operating System is stilled used today and is there a Graphical User Interface that uses it?

Thanks

Toby

Beans

Re: Cp/m

But I mean no harm nor put fault
    On anyone that lives in a vault
    But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Beans

CP/M preceded DOS and was mainly used on 8 bit computers. I used to run it on my Excidy Sorcerer Computer back in 1978. I doubt if you could run it on a modern computer.

The following link gives a lot of information:

http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk/Cpm/

Brian
    The Mekon

also known as

Brian Edwards

Tewantin
    QLD Australia

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tobster View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Toby
    please don't make multiple same post in different forums it just makes for a unnecessary need to merge the threads...

merging this thread with the identical one you started in the "Other OS" forum:http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=363956

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Sorry I was not sure which forum to use

Thanks

Toby

Beans

Here I found an emulator for CP/M:
    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/sys...m-0.2.1.tar.gz

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobster View Post
    Consider how lucky we are to be using what was once reserved only for institutions and research facilities, and was very quickly about to become a closed / proprietary system.

Back then, unless you worked in one of those environments, the hardware and licensing costs were astronomical (aside from those at uni's.)

For hobbiest or small business owners, the cost of what the researchers may have considered "toy" hardware that could run CP/M wasn't inconsiderable. If you had the $$ you could actually get something up and running. A normal home user using the hardware and software that the researchers and uni's used was most likely out of the question in the mid-70's to early 80's.

..just my .02c ..
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stream303 View Post
    Consider how lucky we are to be using what was once reserved only for institutions and research facilities, and was very quickly about to become a closed / proprietary system.

Back then, unless you worked in one of those environments, the hardware and licensing costs were astronomical (aside from those at uni's.)

For hobbiest or small business owners, the cost of what the researchers may have considered "toy" hardware that could run CP/M wasn't inconsiderable. If you had the $$ you could actually get something up and running. A normal home user using the hardware and software that the researchers and uni's used was most likely out of the question in the mid-70's to early 80's.

..just my .02c ..
    I had a AppleII clone in 1986 that had a Z80 cpu (besides the 6502) and it could run cp/m, I even had the 5.25" cp/m disks for it. But at the time I did not have the foggiest idea what it was

Beans
    Hidden!

Ah, the Z80 was meant for when you intended to get serious and run things like Wordstar, spreadsheets, basic-80 etc.

I still remember the famous wordstar "diamond" commands that you can still get a taste of with the "joe" text editor that comes defaulted to the wordstar command set.

In hindsight, I should have been learning VI, but there wasn't any hardware strong or affordable enough for me to even try it...
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast