Thread: Howto install lirc 0.8.3 final on Myth 8.04

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb Howto install lirc 0.8.3 final on Myth 8.04

Lirc does not start with my installation. I think because of an awkward remote control, the Soundgraph iMon PAD.
    The kernel modules simply wouldn't start.

To get it working I tries to compile the lirc-module-sources, but to no avail. Then resorted to the original lirc site and downloaded the package. Here are the steps to get it working. They're in a terminal window

1. Install Build essentials:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r` autoconf
      Use back-tics with the uname, and put in your password.
    2. Download and extract the lirc 0.8.3
    3. Go to the lirc folder:
      Code:
      cd lirc-0.8.3
    4. Lookup the correct drivername, by looking under the --with-driver section of the following output (i.e. you can always replay the config/make/make install procedure if you have to do trial-and-error to find out the correct driver):
      Code:
      ./configure --help
    5. Create build package, replace <driver name> with the driver you found in step 4:
      Code:
      ./configure --with-moduledir=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/misc --prefix=/usr --with-x --with-driver=<driver name>
    6. Build the lot:
      Code:
      make
    7. Install the package:
      Code:
      sudo make install

If you think you've screwed up, you can always redo the ./configure line again, and if you want to rebuild the whole lot (I don't think that it's in any case nessecary, but nevertheless), you can use make -B, instead of just make.

When testing this howto, I got problems compiling. I noticed that completely removing the lirc-0.8.3 folder and start over was the best option.

Now that I have LIRC running, I neet to configure it...anyone a clue?

Bubbel
    Last edited by Bubbel; June 12th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.