Thread: Pangolin versus Gazelle physical comparison (identical specs)

Beans

Question Pangolin versus Gazelle physical comparison (identical specs)

I have created two computers with identical specs, both of them exactly $1,278:

http://system76.com/product_info.php...38{11}40{12}42
    http://system76.com/product_info.php...38{11}40{12}42

The differences between the computers are that one is the Pangolin and the other is the Gazelle. I would like to know what the differences are between the two before deciding between them. For example, I know that the screen size is different and the webcam (from the pictures) looks as though it is mounted differently. More specifically (I have starred the most important to me):

* Is the angle of the webcam on the Gazelle able to be adjusted as it appears from the pictures?
    * Does the Pangolin have a locking mechanism to keep it closed when I want it to stay closed (it appears as though it does not)?
    Is the smaller screen with the same resolution still readable?
    Is the battery life different (perhaps due to different sized screens)?
    * Is ACPI support better on one than the other?
    If I drop it, is one less likely to break than the other?
    Does one look so much less cool than the other that it is less likely to be stolen?
    Does one have a larger mouse-pad than the other?
    Does one have a quieter fan than the other?
    * Does the Pangolin have a hole to attach a lock to? I can see that the Gazelle does from the pictures, but the Pangolin does not have a back view.

...and any other similar information that anyone can come up with.

Thanks,
    -- Collin

Beans

Re: Pangolin versus Gazelle physical comparison (identical specs)

I can only comment on this:
    "Is the smaller screen with the same resolution still readable?"

I myself have concerns about the 14.1 vs 15.4 screens. I have bad eyes and worried about the resolution.

I don't have a System76, but I have access to another laptop with the same 14.1" glossy screen (1280x800). Its a Windows machine, so I use the LiveCD to check out the font sizes in Ubuntu.

I was very happy with the font size and readability of the top menu bar, as well as the few websites I opened in Firefox.

I will not be going for the 15.4", at least not in the same 1280x800 resolution. I don't think its worth it. Mobility is important to me too.
    Last edited by ejhayes; June 1st, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have a Daru2 with a 12 inch screen (1280 x 800), I got it for the portability.
    It is very readable & in ubuntu you can set the default font/icon/toolbar/etc sizes to anything you want.
    In most applications it's easy to change font sizes on the fly, in firefox C-0
    C-- & C-= get the job done fast.

jdb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i have a gazelle value 5 (current) and...

* Is the angle of the webcam on the Gazelle able to be adjusted as it appears from the pictures?

The gazelle value webcam swivels up and down.

* Does the Pangolin have a locking mechanism to keep it closed when I want it to stay closed (it appears as though it does not)?

no clue

very ledgable, no problems here.

no clue, but the gazelle has like a 3 hours battery

no clue

my gazelle has been to highschool and back and lived, so...

Does one look so much less cool than the other that it is less likely to be stolen?

gazelle value looks beautiful, not sure about the pangolin.
    Does one have a larger mouse-pad than the other? you can see my review full of pics of my gazelle here: kviero76.blogspot.com.

very quiet fan of the gazelle.

* Does the Pangolin have a hole to attach a lock to? I can see that the Gazelle does from the pictures, but the Pangolin does not have a back view.

no clue, though i can confirm the gazelle has one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes.
    No.
    Yes.
    On these two computers, identical configurations and usage will yield similar battery life.
    It's good on both of them.
    Don't do that. But if you do, the Pangolin *might* be a little more solid. I wouldn't want to test that theory though.
    No, put you can use a can of spray paint to make it look really ugly.
    Does one have a larger mouse-pad than the other?
    No.
    They use the same fan.
    Yes.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Smile Re: Pangolin versus Gazelle physical comparison (identical specs)

Thank you to everyone who replied. I think that all my questions have been answered (even the one that was sort of a joke). I won't be buying a new laptop for about two years, though, so things might still change. Until then, I hope that this post comes in handy for other people looking for the same thing.

-- Collin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I will buy, though, and I'm almost sold to the Gazelle. Also thanks to this thread. I've one more question: What's the speakers like on the Gazelle? Don't need hi fi or surround as I do the work with a headphone, but is it possible to watch a movie and hear what they talk from a few feet away?