Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Boot or Virtualize

Beans

Re: Dual Boot or Virtualize

Quote Originally Posted by sparkguitar05 View Post
    I've been running Ubuntu for a few months now, but there are times when I need to boot into Windows. Would running Virtualbox be a better option for me? Here's what I need to do....

-- I need to use Internet Explorer. I know it sucks, but I develop websites as a hobby and I need to test them with multiple browsers, including IE.
    -- I need to edit videos. I use Sony Vegas.
    -- I need to use iTunes to sync with my iPod. I haven't found any linux apps that handle video podcasts.

Would running Windows in a virtual machine be a better option for me, or should I continue to dual boot?

3.0 GHz Processor, 1GB of RAM
    Check the benow site:
    http://benow.ca/misc/caps/browsers.png

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sparkguitar05 View Post
    I've been running Ubuntu for a few months now, but there are times when I need to boot into Windows. Would running Virtualbox be a better option for me? Here's what I need to do....

-- I need to use Internet Explorer. I know it sucks, but I develop websites as a hobby and I need to test them with multiple browsers, including IE.
    -- I need to edit videos. I use Sony Vegas.
    -- I need to use iTunes to sync with my iPod. I haven't found any linux apps that handle video podcasts.

Would running Windows in a virtual machine be a better option for me, or should I continue to dual boot?

3.0 GHz Processor, 1GB of RAM
    Check the benow site:
    http://benow.ca/misc/caps/browsers.png
    cross internet verfi for web creation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by diablo75 View Post
    Activation of Windows on your own legit copy doesn't present a problem until you've done it about 4 or 5 times, and they gradually increase the scrutiny of their questions to determine if you are violating your terms of usage agreement...
    I have a legit copy of Windows XP Pro installed on it's own partition. I used my disc to install Windows in a virtual machine in Ubuntu. It told me I needed to activate Windows. So I typed in my product key and it wouldn't let me activate online. It said I needed to call a phone number. If I activate this way in the virtual machine, will I still be able to also boot into my original copy of Windows in it's own partition?
    Last edited by sparkguitar05; May 31st, 2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: needed to quote someone

Beans

Yes, you will.

From what I've read, it is legal to run a VM of Windows if the VM and the original Windows are on the same partition.

So if you want to respect the EULA, you can either:

create the VM on the Windows partition (accessible within Ubuntu at /media/disk or /media/Windows or /media/Vista, etc.) So, in other words, you install the same Windows twice.

OR

Run the EXISTING RAW partition of Windows as a VM in Ubuntu with your favorite VM manager. You need to follow a special HOW-TO for that. The upside is you'll only have one Windows, so you're saving some useful disk space.

FOR THE RECORD: don't tell the MS representative what you are doing with the VM thing, whatever you decide to do. It might hurt more than help IMO, because they may get confused, it can take longer, etc. Tell them you had to reinstall Windows because you screwed up your computer for instance. This way you omit, but you don't lie. It is only my opinion.
    Last edited by the8thstar; June 1st, 2008 at 07:41 PM.
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12