Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Groupware Server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Which Groupware Server?

I would like to set up a groupware server on my Hardy Server Platform with clients on Vista, Windows XP, and other Ubuntu PCs, and ideally the ability to sync with Pocket PCs (WinMobile 2003 2nd edition) would be desirable as well. The Windows PC clients don't have to be Outlook, but would be nice. There will be approximately 5 users.

I'm looking to support calendaring, notes, tasks (toDo's), and e-mail. The data needs to stay "on the server" so that a client from any of the computers will see the same information.

There seems to be a quite a few choices, any suggestions on which ones are easiest to operate/maintain/setup?

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by jrollf; May 31st, 2008 at 04:07 PM.
    Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Which Groupware Server?

Quote Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
    I would like to set up a groupware server on my Hardy Server Platform with clients on Vista, Windows XP, and other Ubuntu PCs, and ideally the ability to sync with Pocket PCs (WinMobile 2003 2nd edition) would be desirable as well. The Windows PC clients don't have to be Outlook, but would be nice. There will be approximately 5 users.

I'm looking to support calendaring, notes, tasks (toDo's), and e-mail. The data needs to stay "on the server" so that a client from any of the computers will see the same information.

There seems to be a quite a few choices, any suggestions on which ones are easiest to operate/maintain/setup?

Thanks,
    John
    Take a look at Zimbra, or Citadel. I like Zimbra myself, very robust AJAX interface. They have both a paid version and an open source version. Both work extremely well.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

check out eGroupware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by emilije View Post
    check out eGroupware
    Very good as well. I forgot that one.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Citadel with Easy Install is a snap to get running. Literally push a button and all the pieces automatically happen. Multiple clients and it's all open source. No functionality that requires payment. It's all one piece.

It does everything you listed above.

www.citadel.org

-Aahz

Beans

We conclude and that there are several (more than good) open source options for your purpose.
    Citadel, eGroupware, and so on... are good, but final decision is on you
    look at the documentation of every groupware what they offer, are they complicated, free, take look at some screenshots...

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all the input. I'm currently trying Citadel and have it up and running. I can access it from withing my LAN, but I'm having problems getting to it from across the internet. I think I'm having a problem with my ATT U-verse router, I can ping the related ports, but when I try to connect to my server, it times out.

I'll have keep working at it!

Thanks everyone
    Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro

Citadel seems to be working great. For some reason I can't access Citadel using my Internet/Public IP Address (ie I can only use my local Lan IP) from any computer on my home network. But if I'm on a computer elsewhere in the world, it connects great.

Is there anyway to "connect" from a computer on my home network by going across the internet to see how the server behaves on the "public/internet" side.

Thanks,
    Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
    Citadel seems to be working great. For some reason I can't access Citadel using my Internet/Public IP Address (ie I can only use my local Lan IP) from any computer on my home network. But if I'm on a computer elsewhere in the world, it connects great.

Is there anyway to "connect" from a computer on my home network by going across the internet to see how the server behaves on the "public/internet" side.

Thanks,
    No, you would have to be outside the network to really test it.

The problem you are having though is you cannot access your server inside the network using www.myserver.com but you can acces it using it's IP sddress. You can solve that by putting an alias in your hosts file like so:

192.168.0.2 www.myserver.com myserver

Replace the IP address with the actual address of your server inside your network.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm having to pick groupware for a small company this week. 3 people currently, but they are ramping up to possibly 10 and 6 will be off site.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at eGroupware right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast