Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Restricted drivers PROBLEM!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thumbs up Re: Nvidia drivers now work in Compaq CQ50-110us

Blessings/beneficial karma/good luck and happiness to starcannon!

These steps worked perfectly for my son's new Compaq CQ50-110us laptop that he needs to start university in another 3 days. It has Vista, of course. . . but why start college at a disadvantage?! Dual booting.

Now I have to solve the wireless connection [ethernet works perfectly] --and Dad's work is done.

Quote Originally Posted by starcannon View Post
    Heres how I set up every one of my nvidia cards, don't skip steps even if you have already done them in the past.
    Code:
    Print out this guide, you will be in pure CLI for part of the install.

1)  Download the driver for your Nvidia Card from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    	1.a) Make sure its in your home directory, this will make it so we don't have to change directories later when were in terminal.

2) Open a terminal: Applications--> Accessories--> Terminal

3) sudo apt-get install build-essential

4) gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    	4.a) Add "nvidia" without quotes to the list.
    	4.b) Save and Exit

5) gksudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common
    	5.a) Add "nv" without quotes to the restricted list. It should look exactly like this: DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
    	5.b) Save and Exit

6) sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf ./xorg.conf.backup

7) sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    	7.a) Were just deleting your old xorg.conf file, we backed it up in step 6 just in case we ever need it back again.
    	7.b) Getting rid of old drivers, use one or more of the sections that apply to you:
    		-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    		If you used Envy to attempt a previous nvidia install please run this command now before you go on:

sudo envy --uninstall-all 
    		sudo dpkg -P envy 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    		If you have some old Ubuntu repository/restricted driver manager attempts installed please run this command before you go on:

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
                    sudo rm /lib/restricted-modules/.nvidia*

If you have a failed NVIDIA*.run (drivers from the nvidia.com site) run this command before you go on:

sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall

####################################################################################
    ##................................................................................##
    ## Alright Now Assuming That You are starting with a clean slate lets move forward##
    ##................................................................................##
    ####################################################################################

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
    	8.a) Okay were in Command Line only now, we have a little left to do in here.
    	8.b)login:
    	8.c)Password:

9) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    	9.a) This step shuts down the x-server and gnome desktop manager

10) sudo chmod a+x ./NVIDIA*.run
    	10.a) We made the nvidia installer executable.

11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run
    	11.a) Answer to the affirmative for all questions.
    	11.b) Be sure to specifically say you DO WANT it to write a new xorg.conf
    	11.c) If you somehow answered incorrectly on the last question in the installer then:
    		c.I) sudo nvidia-xconfig #this will write a new or attempt repair of
                         an xorg.conf file for you.

12) sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    	12.a) You should see an Nvidia Logo, and then be put at your login screen, 
                  you should also be able to enable desktop effects.

Optional But recommended:
    13) To get the driver to update itself when a new kernel is installed from the update
        manager be sure to follow the guide in this link:
         http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5227704&postcount=1
    Here's a click link for the guide mention in step 13
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...04&postcount=1

I will continue to update this guide as I find new things, but I am not really following this thread any longer as the OP seems to have moved on.

If I refer you to this guide from another thread, then please continue posting in the thread we met on. GL and hope this guide helps you.

~Starcannon

Beans

Re: Nvidia Restricted drivers PROBLEM!!!!

Thanks Silverbear,

I reworked one of my twin CQ50 laptops per your instructions -- thanks.

In researching the awful sound and weird responses to keyboard switches (e.g.: touchpad on/off and wifi on/off), I have found that Nvidia differentiates between the GeForce and GeForce M/Go (laptop version). In fact, the "M/Go" version is older.

Selecting GeForce 8 series takes me to
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...173.14.12.html

Selecting GeForce M series takes me to
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_169.12.html

I understand that Nvidia produces the video card as well as mainboard for many laptops. This machine seems to be one, and
    lspci seems to indicate that the audio is also Nvidia, I'm wondering if I've selected the "best" driver...(173)

Oh, as for wifi -- I think we've discovered that, although the wifi button really does turn the card on and off, the light is always red. So, if you're having trouble with madwifi or NDIS wrapper finding the card, try taping the wifi button once...

Cordoba57
    Last edited by cordoba57; September 3rd, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: More info re wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Heres how I set up every one of my nvidia cards, don't skip steps even if you have already done them in the past.
    Code:

1)  Download the driver for your Nvidia Card from http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    	1.a) Make sure its in your home directory, this will make it so we don't have to change directories later when were in terminal.

4.b) Save and Exit

5.a) Add "nv" without quotes to the restricted list. It should look exactly like this: DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
    	5.b) Save and Exit

7.a) Were just deleting your old xorg.conf file, we backed it up in step 6 just in case we ever need it back again.
    	7.b) Getting rid of old drivers, use one or more of the sections that apply to you:
    		If you used Envy to attempt a previous nvidia install please run this command now before you go on:

sudo dpkg -P envy 

If you have some old Ubuntu repository/restricted driver manager attempts installed please run this command before you go on:

If you have a failed NVIDIA*.run (drivers from the nvidia.com site) run this command before you go on:

## Alright Now Assuming That You are starting with a clean slate lets move forward##

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
    	8.b)login:
    	8.c)Password:

11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run
    	11.c) If you somehow answered incorrectly on the last question in the installer then:

13) To get the driver to update itself when a new kernel is installed from the update

I will continue to update this guide as I find new things, but I am not really following this thread any longer as the OP seems to have moved on.

If I refer you to this guide from another thread, then please continue posting in the thread we met on. GL and hope this guide helps you.

~Starcannon
    Hmm, this isn't working for me. I followed the instructions down to the letter, but I'm still not getting the Nvidia splash screen, and glxgears is horribly slow:
    Code:
    dissonance@iridium:~$ glxgears -info
    GL_RENDERER   = GeForce 7900 GTX/PCI/SSE2
    GL_VERSION    = 1.2 (2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.12)
    GL_VENDOR     = NVIDIA Corporation
    GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow 
    2338 frames in 5.0 seconds = 463.577 FPS
    2340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 466.597 FPS
    2340 frames in 5.0 seconds = 465.626 FPS

Beans

He means that after you install the updates it wants you to reboot right then which I imagine you did. I have a dual monitor Nvidia card which did not work, and both your description and Starcannon's were very informative.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    That explains how to work around Ubuntu disabling root login by default.
    So yes you can use Nautilus, $gksudo nautilus to copy directories. Also by
    the command line, example: sudo cp -a /media/sdc1/Program\ Files/MAIET /home/cookieorc/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files
    Also since I'm the only person with access to my computer ever, I disabled being prompted for the password every time I used sudo (in my stephen account) which is described in the RootSudo link above.

Beans

Hmm this way works but i have another problem . When my desktop is loading (~10 sec. after loging) my computer is frozen... i have to press reset. After reboot my resolution is again 800x600 or i have error...

|Configure| |Shut Down| |Continue|

graphic card: GeForce 8400

Ppl help me ! i hate vista!!

ps. sorry for my english.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you recently updated to the new kernel? 2.6.24 -21 ?
    Were you using the nvidia drivers for 3D ?
    If yes, then you will need to re install the nvidia drivers.

The method I have just used to do this is as follows.
    At this point...
    |Configure| |Shut Down| |Continue|

press Continue
    Boot In low graphics mode .
    Open Synaptic package Manager and install envyng-gtk.

run envyng and select NVIDIA and remove the drivers, reboot, run envyng and install the 173 driver

See http://albertomilone.com/envyfaq.html
    for more info BEFORE you start.

Worked for my Geforce 8400M GS in HP laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Code:

4.b) Save and Exit

5.b) Save and Exit

sudo dpkg -P envy 

8) CTRL-ALT-F1
    	8.b)login:
    	8.c)Password:

11) sudo ./NVIDIA*.run

~Starcannon
    Thanks

Beans

Great guide thanks dude! Two comments that might help people, I had to install the linux-headers package to compile the nvidia drivers. I also had to edit xorg.conf and add 1920x1200 res in there. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Squished screen:

I have tried to solve the following problem myself, but I am admitting partial defeat and coming to you for suggestions. This topics seems relevant enough so instead of starting a new thread (I haven't turned up any searches with this problem) I decided to pos here.

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 with GeForce2 GO graphics card. I have the 96.43.06 version installed using Hardware Driver manager. I also have medium desktop effects enabled.

The problem that I'm having is that about 70% of the time, my computer loads up but after the option screen (I am running dual boot with XP SP2), the display is squished over to the left side of the screen. It is literally pushed over so that half the screen is black and half is Ubuntu looking like it is having a mammogram. I am still able to login but since everything is mushed together vertically, what fun is that?

Anyway, the other 30% of the time it loads up absosmurfly fine, full screen at 1024X768 with desktop effects.

So, the driver is working correctly sometimes - but I am assuming that during the start up process it is conflicting with something.

This doesn't happen when the driver is not installed or working in low graphics mode. If the driver is not installed I never get th squished screen, but I would prefer to have my resolution beyond 800X600 and I'd also like some moderate desktop effects.

In case this matters, there is no problem like this when booting into XP, it's only when loading Ubuntu does this happen.

I am stumped.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Double post. Sorry.
    Last edited by BunnyGirlDoom; November 22nd, 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast