Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Macbook touchpad cursor moving "in steps"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Macbook touchpad cursor moving "in steps"

Just a massive thank you to gwjvan for that step-by-step guide. It's worked perfectly for my MacBook2,1.

Makes the trackpad workable now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gwjvan View Post
    Here is what I did to compile and make appletouch functional. I'm still learning, so if there is a better way to do any of this, please feel free to correct me. Also, there is more tweaking I'd like to do, but these are the basic instructions for you to be able to experiment. According to appletouch.c, appletouch applies to the following Mac laptops:
    /* PowerBooks Feb 2005, iBooks G4 */
    /* PowerBooks Oct 2005 */
    /* Core Duo MacBook & MacBook Pro */
    /* Core2 Duo MacBook & MacBook Pro */
    /* Core2 Duo MacBook3,1 */
    Summary: Use the original appletouch make file (from the authors), with the newest appletouch.c (from the kernel tree), changing a few values.

1. Get the Makefile. Download the most recent appletouch package from:The most recent one I see today is appletouch-0.08.tar.bz2. It is outdated, but I'm only using the Makefile from this. I'm going to extract "Makefile" to ~/appletouch/ for this example.

2. Download the appletouch.c from the kernel tree (kernel.ubuntu.com/git) which matches your kernel version. In my case, I'm downloading from the Precise tree:
    kernel.ubuntu.com/git --> projects (top link) --> ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git > tree (upper left hand link) > drivers > input > mouse > appletouch.c : raw

Direct link to appletouch.c's directory in Precise's tree, as of today (If you have a different kernel, or this link doesn't work, you'll need to find it manually):From here, click the "raw" link to the right of "appletouch.c" to download the raw file. Put this file into ~/appletouch/

Ubuntu seems to have named the raw file "drivers_input_mouse_appletouch.c". If yours downloads with that filename, rename it to "appletouch.c"

3. We should now have the directory ~/appletouch with the following 2 files in it:
    appletouch.c (from the kernel tree)
    Makefile (from the appletouch website)
    4. Install kernel headers (if you don't already have them installed):
    sudo apt-get install Linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    5. Modify appletouch.c with new sensitivity values. In my case (PowerBook5,8 ) I changed:
    #define ATP_FUZZ 16

#define ATP_THRESHOLD 5
    to
    #define ATP_FUZZ 0

#define ATP_THRESHOLD 3
    6. Compile appletouch.c. Open up a terminal and run the following commands:
    cd ~/appletouch
    make
    7. Disable current appletouch (with rmmod) and test your new appletouch driver (with insmod) to see if the settings work:
    sudo rmmod appletouch
    sudo insmod appletouch.ko
    8. If you are not satisfied with the touchpad behavior, go back to step 5 and adjust settings.
    If you want to go back to default appletouch in the mean time (if your new settings are unusable, for example), you can unload your new driver, and insert the original with:
    sudo rmmod appletouch
    sudo modprobe appletouch
    9. If this works for your machine, backup your original appletouch driver:
    sudo mv /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/appletouch.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/appletouch_OLD.ko
    10. Make the new driver the default appletouch driver by copying it to the drivers directory:
    sudo cp appletouch.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/input/mouse/appletouch.ko

not working to well. my powerbook g4 hates the commands
    the raw appletouch.c file you say to download doesn't even have the #define ATP_FUZZ
    or the other line that needs to be edited i understand this thread is old but for someone that is still somewhat new to linux your tutorial is crazy as **** to understand so i need to know when you edit those lines is it in the old appletouch.c file the new raw appletouch file or the one that comes with the make file, and the folder /appletouch, you place it in the home folder with the downloads and music folders?

i just need help the cursor moving in steps is unbearable and a major pita to move over links on forums and websites

when i try to compile it terminal tells me no such file or directory it ends with some code and says error 2
    Last edited by boneskid1; November 1st, 2012 at 04:50 AM.

Beans

Worked very well for me. Thank you gwjvan!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wow! This worked fantastic, thank you gwjvan! I use a macbook 2,1 running Ubuntu 12.04 and it works great, I also want to point out I use synaptics touchpad manager as well and have no problems with it using this config. Yay for smooth mouse control!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by boneskid1 View Post
    not working to well. my powerbook g4 hates the commands
    the raw appletouch.c file you say to download doesn't even have the #define ATP_FUZZ
    or the other line that needs to be edited i understand this thread is old but for someone that is still somewhat new to linux your tutorial is crazy as **** to understand so i need to know when you edit those lines is it in the old appletouch.c file the new raw appletouch file or the one that comes with the make file, and the folder /appletouch, you place it in the home folder with the downloads and music folders?
    You use the one from the ubuntu kernel tree, not from the download with the make file. Also, if you are using 12.10, you will need to download the raw appletouch.c file associated with Ubuntu 12.10 listed here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubunt...rs/input/mouse

Beans

Thanks Gwjvan, your solution definitely improves things. Has anyone done any more experimenting with different values in appletouch.c? It's better now but still not as good as windows or osx on the same machine. (2008 macbook)

Beans

Sorry for the bump, but I feel like this is a worthy contribution to a problem people still deal with, even more so now that OSX has abandoned us older MacBook users on Lion or Snow Leopard and we start to yearn for a current operating system.

I would happen to have done a bit of experimenting with the settings. It would seem that setting fuzz to 1 and threshold to 2 calms down the jumpiness a bit.

Using it now. Silky smooth. Thanks guys!

Beans

Angry Re: Macbook touchpad cursor moving "in steps"

Hi everybody

I'm trying to have a touchpad in my macbook 4.1 core2duo work well but i understand how i do this?excuse me if my language is not very comprehensible im french a i practice english language very bad.In the moment i'm on debian wheezy and the touchpad is a big problem to have a comfortable use .there a video to my best config http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvFU6MZ5574

I really want to use an linux distro for a personnal use but at the moment it's disagradable.
    And the how to in this post is not very clear for me,anybody can help me please?

Beans

I know how to fix the problem of the cursor moving in "steps." I've been running Ubuntu 12.04 on my 2011 Macbook Pro for about a year now and have not been able to configure the trackpad to my liking. When I click (not tap) the trackpad my cursor moves. That's it. Often I end up highlighting things instead of clicking them because the trackpad senses the movement. I've yet to get this worked out. (if anyone has any ideas, let me know! FingerHigh and FingerLow synclient settings help, but don't fix the issue)

Anyway, while doing so I accidentally made my cursor move in steps. Here's how to change the settings.

Open a terminal and type "synclient -l" to bring up a list of current touchpad settings.

Look at your values for HorizHysteresis and VertHysteresis. My current values are 30 and 60, which gives some resistance to diagonal movement. I'm guessing your values are too high and all you need to do is lower them. Here's how

In terminal type
    synclient HorizHysteresis=20 and hit enter

Then type
    synclient VertHysteresis=30 and hit enter.

That should do it.

Beans

Hi thx to post your synclient config

ived mesured the touchpad of my mac and i have adapted with it's mesure and work better but not perfect. is moving with a better resolution but always move with a little motion like little stairs and not big stairs ah aha ah! i think it's the way to have a solution

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast