Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moving to hardy heron

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: moving to hardy heron

I think you must be doing something wrong if it takes a weekend to install and fix your bits and pieces.

I broke my system myself because of enthusiasm, so that meant re installation a couple of times, each time it was like half an hour, and all running well, with just my personal tweaks to do. The only one issue was with nvidia drivers and that is a propriety issue not the development teams.

I did compare it to XP, and sorry to you but hundreds of thousands of people were forced into having Vista by MS when it refused to supply oem resellers with anything but.

get over the windows thing already bro.

PS no point in a flame war though. I luv my system

Beans

No worries. I don't take your post as a flame war. As I said, I quite like Ubuntu.

Windows XP Pro is very much a viable alternative. If a person is dumb enough not to know how to circumvent it, then of course he's not in contention for Linux anyway.

But I speak of the millions of people who do know that they can choose between SuSE, Win XP Pro, Leopard.

And yes, it took me 30 mins to install Ubuntu, but a very long time to fix nVidia drivers. The machine was dumb without it, and still is very slow and clunky in its interface.

Anyway, this is a wishlist to whoever is reading this: please do something with the interface. Windows should not take so long to minimize and maximize. At least that bit is instant even in Vista, which helps the visual experience of a modern OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ahhh, I see your concern (or at least part of it) the Nvidia drivers, well in that I can emphasise. There is a lot here on it, including my own very lengthy and extremely confusing thread at porjehttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=808694. I don't recommend my one as a fix but perhaps there may be something in there for you.

I found that once I got the driver working correctly, (and it may seem to be but isn't) then all goes well. Check out the nvidia site as well perhaps pr the many discussions here. Nvidia just released a new driver for geforce cards maybe that would help.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12