Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] HowTo sleep / standby / hibernate / suspend from command line

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] HowTo sleep / standby / hibernate / suspend from command line

I tried most of these, and got them to successfully put my desktop on hibernate, but then it IMMEDIATELY wakes up, i.e. ram writes to disk, computer powers down, a second goes by, then computer powers up and restores to the original state.

Using ubuntu 9.10 amd64, still trying some other methods, but I haven't found any other posts with this problem... any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey spiffman, I have the same problem and as yet, no solution. Just wanted u to know you're not alone with this issue. If you find anything that works, let me know.

eipapp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Don't know why this works if the problem is the nvidia driver, but I found this solution to the one-time-only suspend/hibernate:

I have recently started having trouble keeping the thing asleep (ie it wakes up immediately after suspending). This seems to have solved it (on both Asrock and Zotac setup). If you are using legacy GRUB, add

Code:
    usbcore.autosuspend=-1

to the end of the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you are using GRUB2, then it is a tad more complicated. You need to add it to the option GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub, ie

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

and update GRUB:

Code:
    $ sudo update-grub
    Now it seems to work for me. I get a white screen upon restore, but I hit enter and I get the lock/login screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by aoakley View Post
    To suspend-to-RAM (aka sleep):
    Code:
    pmi action suspend
    To suspend-to-disk (aka hibernate):
    Code:
    pmi action hibernate
    On my Ubuntu Karmic (v9.10) system, I don't find pmi anything.

A search using Synaptic found an Intelligent Open Platform Management Interface (openipmi) . Is this what I need to install?

Before I use SLEEP or HIBERNATE is there other configuration that I need? For example, does hibernate require a swap file or can I designate some other place to store that context? (I have 4GB ram that never swaps anything so I did not configure swap space.)

~~~ 0;-Dan
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

SaintDanBert: I installed the package "powermanagement-interface" which contains pmi and works very well.

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Back in November, I was able to fix the NO prompt for password on Resume, on one pc. Now I need to do it for another machine, but I can't remember how I did it?! I checked the config editor and Suspend is checked... so I'm stumped again.

The script/command posted above in this thread works fine to suspend S3, BUT I get NO prompt for password on Resume, which is a serious problem.

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

This command works in terminal:

gnome-screensaver-command --lock ; pmi action suspend

but not in "keyboard shortcuts". The delimiter ; probably doesn't work. Is it possible to run 2 commands in "keyboard shortcuts"?

Beans

Here is an easy and quick way to do suspend ubuntu from command line. (Tested with Ubuntu 10.04). It took me a while to figure it out:

http://www.establishfacts.com/how-to...omcommand-line

Enjoy!

Beans

Thx for all of this good information.

Beans

Ok I've been looking into this for a while. I see people installing various packages for suspending/hibernating. What I don't understand is that why can Gnome suspend if I don't already have those packages installed? This leads me to believe that I should be able to suspend Ubuntu without having to install these extra packages, since Gnome can do it.

I'm guessing the interface to suspend the OS is programmatic. In other words, I can only suspend from calling into some lib, not from command line. Is that true?

I'd like to look at the source of the power menu in ubuntu, but I have no idea what package that's in. Any pointers?

Also, are those packages recommended in this thread programs that call into the aforementioned programmatic interface (like 'pmi')?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast