Thread: BIOS flashing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

BIOS flashing

I'm running Heron on my half-dead laptop to get it working again. The HDD is corrupt, so every other boot, I have to run a manual fsck (why doesn't that map out the corrupted sectors, by the way?), but I'm replacing the HDD soon anyway.

It's an Acer Aspire 3102WLMi, and the BIOS flashing utilities provided by Acer are, unsurprisingly, Windows based. Well, MS based. There's a DOS option, involving running a .bat, and a Windows option, with a .exe. What's the easiest way to get one of these to work? Am I better off trying to run the .exe under WINE, or is there some nice easy way to run a .bat in the terminal, or something like that?

I'm fairly sure this will fix a fair few of the problems the laptop's having, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: BIOS flashing

Wine is good for a lot of programs but I wouldn't flash a BIOS using it. One little quirk and you nuke your mobo.

Best bet is to use the DOS environment. If you have access to a Windows machine format a floppy using the "format A: /s" command. This will copy system files to boot from onto the floppy. After it's finished formatting if theres enough room on the floppy copy your flash program and the binary BIOS file to it. If not, put the flash program and the binary BIOS file onto another floppy and insert it after the startup disk has loaded the DOS environment. A:>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by oVIXx View Post
    Wine is good for a lot of programs but I wouldn't flash a BIOS using it. One little quirk and you nuke your mobo.

Best bet is to use the DOS environment. If you have access to a Windows machine format a floppy using the "format A: /s" command. This will copy system files to boot from onto the floppy. After it's finished formatting if theres enough room on the floppy copy your flash program and the binary BIOS file to it. If not, put the flash program and the binary BIOS file onto another floppy and insert it after the startup disk has loaded the DOS environment. A:>
    You will need to have a floppy drive to do it this way of course.
    Shuttle SA76G2* Athlon II X2 245 * 4Gb PC26400 * 250 Gb HDD * DVD-RW * Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

most newer motherboards can do the floppy method with a USB drive instead. Since this is a laptop this is probably the prefered method.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Well maybe you didn't read it fully, thats an older laptop, <2 ghz and probably came with a floppy drive.

If you have a computer w/out a floppy drive, you've been duped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah... it's not that old a laptop. It's only just out of warranty. And 1.8GHz isn't that much below 2. XD

Thanks for your help guys - I figured it might be something along those lines that I'd have to do. I'll see what I can manage, I do have several Windows machines.

If you have no access to a DOS boot disk, but do have a DOS version of BIOS Flash, it might be worthwhile to look here:

That will let you make a DOS bootable CD.

FreeDOS is sometimes helpful to do rescue operations on friends crashed DOS/Windows computers.

Arv
    _._
    POSIX