Thread: public wifi, no web

Beans

public wifi, no web

I'm having trouble connecting to the web on a public access point that I'm stuck with every day.

I can connect to the network ok. I get an IP fine. When I go to bring up any web page, it seems to timeout, looking up the domain I think.

Here's what's strange: let's say I go to http://www.google.com/. Times out. Now I dig that domain. I get a result! Now, going back to my browser, I go to google.com, the wifi welcome page comes up, I can "Agree", and then go to google.com....but then nowhere else. Going to any other domain times out.

This was a problem on gutsy. I'm now on hardy and I have the same trouble.

Does anybody have any clue what I can do to get this working?

Beans

Re: public wifi, no web

try changing DNS servers to opendns http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/...-in-linux.html

Beans

I tried using OpenDNS servers, but that doesn't seem to work. I think it has something to with the fact that the public wifi basically denies internet traffic until you get to their landing page and click "I Agree".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sounds like a typical captive portal. Public wifi does not always mean that you can go to any web site that you want. The page where you must agree to their terms of service should at least give some information about any access restrictions.

What public wifi network is this?

Beans

It's called Harborlink, from the Dayton OH area. I forgot to mention, but the folks who are on Windows are able to go to any site once they get past the agreement page. No apparent access issues at all for either Firefox or IE.

I tried contacting their support, and they said they tested their network with Ubuntu, but you know how helpful support like that can be...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Here's what's strange: let's say I go to http://www.google.com/. Times out. Now I dig that domain. I get a result! Now, going back to my browser, I go to google.com, the wifi welcome page comes up, I can "Agree", and then go to google.com....but then nowhere else. Going to any other domain times out.
    What does Now I dig that domain mean?

This sounds like a DNS resolution issue.

Can you get to the true IP in FireFox:

Beans

Just got back from vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    What does Now I dig that domain mean?
    I should have been more clear. I meant the command line program dig. as in: $dig www.google.com

This sounds like a DNS resolution issue.
    Can you get to the true IP in FireFox:
    Yes I can. If I have not clicked "Agree" on the start page I'm directed to it first, but once I click agree, I can get to google via straight ip address.

What should I do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by defaulk View Post
    Yes I can. If I have not clicked "Agree" on the start page I'm directed to it first, but once I click agree, I can get to google via straight ip address.

What should I do?
    Try this: http://en.opensuse.org/Disable_IPv6_for_Firefox

Beans

That didn't work unfortunately. I also tried disabling ipv6 on the whole system and rebooting, which didn't work either.

Any other possibilities?

Beans

Bump. I still can't figure this out, so no internet. Besides that, other people can get on just fine with windows. That's just wrong.