Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can any one suggest a name for a new computer shop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can any one suggest a name for a new computer shop?

I am opening a new store in my home town and want to get your input on a cool name for it. I know there's funny names like hyper-global-compu-mega-net (simpsons) and I thought of "The PWN Shop" (was the name of someones blog already) but I need something catchy and functional.

I will do repairs as well.

Thanks all!
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Can any one suggest a name for a new computer shop?

Ripfox Computers?
    Just a suggestion.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

"The Computer Shop"
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans

Comp-Fix
    The moon will illuminate my room and soon I'm consumed by my doom.

Beans

Computer E-ssentials
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

What about "Fresh Brewed Ubuntu"! Or "Peace Love Linux"!

Beans

Or just call it "Hardware".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here's a few:

-Pea Sea
    -Compineer
    -Computer Factory
    -Hz So Good (A pun, Hurts So Good, from the game "Space Quest VI")
    -Hot Rod Computers
    -Lolocopter Computers
    -Edison's
    -Tesla's
    -Computer Forest

That's all I have for right now, I'm sadly uncreative right now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

CompUSA.
    Oh that's right, they had poor quality and eventually went outta business.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Since it is a business, you are probably going to want to target the 'average' / 'below-average' computer users if you are wanting to fix computers. You know, the users who refer to their machines as the 'CPU' or the 'hard drive'--the ones that come in wanting a new machine because theirs is a year old and too slow because it has virii, spy/ad-ware and pointless startup programs along with Bonzai Buddy. Those are the users that you offer virus detection and spyware removal/cleanup and charge them $50/hr. Or perhaps on site calls for more for the user's convenience. Those particular services will offer you the highest return for the least amount of effort (ie: compile a cd of utilities to automate the tasks of scanning & removal etc). You could then offer them software (available at your store of course) to help with the problems and even upgrades or new machines.

You could walk on the dark side and be unhanded about the business too (say that you will buy their brand new machine, or offer a trade-in, clean up their machine (software along with physical cleaning--perhaps do a gaming case and throw in a mid level 3d accel. video card) and then resell it for double the value, but we are all good people

Either direction, you should choose a name that isn't niche. You need to be recognized among the average/sub-average user and market accordingly. Choosing a name like 'The PWN Shop' will not get you the market you are looking for because: average users will have no idea how to say it/what it means, the users you hope to target are educated enough to go to ncix.com, tigerdirect and newegg and it doesn't sound professional. You may get the occasional 'power' user who knows wth they are talking about that just needs a new power supply because it just peaced on them randomly, but you are looking and need return customers--not casual. With those kind of online stores, it is getting increasingly difficult to compete with their pricing and service (which is why you might want to consider focusing on support/services side of operations). Also, the name of the shop should reflect quality, professionalism, solid service, support and community.

Everything I have mentioned is purely my opinion, but I would strongly suggest you consider the advice carefully. Perhaps you could name your store after your town/division/region or something that is uniquely understood by its residents (a popular event or location)? Say you lived in Nelson, you could name your store "Nelson Computer Centre (NCC)". Or maybe a random noun-based name along with the words "Computer Store, Shop, Link, Resource, etc", ex:
    Rose Field Systems (RFS). Limiting it to 3 nouns would probably help for acronyms (most people seem to love the TLA[three letter acronyms]s anyways ).

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in your business venture! Let us know if you choose a name

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast