Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Hardy' NTFS support? What other file systems work in both XP and Ubuntu?

Beans

How is Hardy' NTFS support? What other file systems work in both XP and Ubuntu?

I'm not a linux expert, but as far as I know from reading a couple years ago, in linux ntfs is not that good, especially writing to ntfs volumes.

Is it any better these days and why is it not so good in the first place?

I'm interested because I want to set up a dual boot system with XP and Ubuntu, and have some volumes shared between the two OSes, so if not NTFS I have to use FAT32, unless there is another good file system someone can recommend that will work well in both.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: How is Hardy' NTFS support? What other file systems work in both XP and Ubuntu?

used it lots, and never had a problem. It is true that the ntfs support was a bit flaky at first, but now, the ntfs3g drivers are top notch.
    Neo Tokyo Skies Prologue

A prologue release of the MMORPG Neo Tokyo skies...

Beans

Re: How is Hardy' NTFS support? What other file systems work in both XP and Ubuntu?

I've had great results running a 500gb external on NTFS under Gutsy and Hardy. FAT32 works very well as a go-between file system as well. I haven't had any corrupted files, and there's a lot of reading/writing going on with very large files.
    There are ways to get windows to read ext3 file systems I believe, but I'm not sure how well it works. Maybe someone else can post more information.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by BigWoop View Post
    I'm not a linux expert, but as far as I know from reading a couple years ago, in linux ntfs is not that good, especially writing to ntfs volumes.

Is it any better these days and why is it not so good in the first place?

I'm interested because I want to set up a dual boot system with XP and Ubuntu, and have some volumes shared between the two OSes, so if not NTFS I have to use FAT32, unless there is another good file system someone can recommend that will work well in both.

Thanks.
    the best supported is FAT32. But NTFS works pretty well

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

NTFS mounts, reads, and writes fine here.

Beans

OK it's good to see that it seems to work OK, as I might have to go with it, given FAT32 file and volume size limitations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

there are also ext2 drrivers available for windows, but you might as well use ntfs...
    Neo Tokyo Skies Prologue

A prologue release of the MMORPG Neo Tokyo skies...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

im using the ext2 filesystem and xp can read/write to it perfectly once the ext2 drivers are installed (takes 5 seconds)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had to do some config to make NTFS work in Feisty, but in both Gutsy an dHardy there were no problems, and it all worked out of the box.
    Why are uploads slower than downloads? That's easy. When you upload, the computer has to push the bits upward. When you download, the bits just fall by gravity, so it's much faster.

~/ ~/ on the range...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by kamitsukai View Post
    im using the ext2 filesystem and xp can read/write to it perfectly once the ext2 drivers are installed (takes 5 seconds)
    http://www.fs-driver.org/

I use this driver with Windows XP Pro. Works great; never had any problems. The only problem with this driver is that is does not maintain the permissions :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast